Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

percentage of profits paid to an artist for each copy of his work that is sold
drive
visibility
royalties
franchisor
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Investigators vs invigilators

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
How should i know which thing does the boy really need? | phrase: to make one's way
listening exercisestell a friend
Investigators vs invigilators #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 22, 2005 18:12 pm   Investigators vs invigilators

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #8 "Admire his Achievement", question 9

It's virtually impossible to deceive in the examination because investigators patrol the room every ten minutes.

(a) virtually
(b) deceive
(c) investigators
(d) every

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #8 "Admire his Achievement", answer 9

It's virtually impossible to cheat in the examination because investigators patrol the room every ten minutes.

Correct entry: cheat
The error was: (b) deceive

You have not found the error.
It's virtually impossible to deceive in the examination because investigators patrol the room every ten minutes.

shouldn't "investigators" be "invigilators"?

karrolina
karrolina

Checking #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 22, 2005 21:02 pm   Checking

Hi,

Thanks for that. We'll put that right

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Investigators vs invigilators #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 29, 2008 22:53 pm   Investigators vs invigilators

karrolina wrote:
shouldn't "investigators" be "invigilators"?
We use the word 'proctor' (or possibly 'monitor') in the US. I've never heard anyone use the word 'invigilator'.

Investigators vs invigilators #4 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:35 am   Investigators vs invigilators

It is not appropriate to tell a learner who fills in the word 'proctor' as a correction that 'proctor' is incorrect.

Investigators vs invigilators #5 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:56 am   Investigators vs invigilators

We've added the word 'proctor' as a correct answer and it will go online with the next update. The 'one-by-one' version of the test already contains 'proctor':
http://www.english-test.net/esl/learn/english/grammar/ar008/

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Social History (2)
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Investigators vs invigilators #6 (permalink) Tue Apr 08, 2008 18:44 pm   Investigators vs invigilators

Thank you for the feedback, Torsten.
When I checked the test a little while ago, 'proctor' was still not being accepted.

How often do you do the updates?

Investigators vs invigilators #7 (permalink) Tue Apr 08, 2008 19:07 pm   Investigators vs invigilators

Hi Amy,

It depends on how many changes we make and how time Slava has available. I'll ask him to update the data base asap.

Thanks,
Torsten

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social science class (2)
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

How should i know which thing does the boy really need? | phrase: to make one's way
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Use of ago and since, for grade 3 students, in a very simple manner...Can you give me some useful english to start a sentenceMeaning of 'Payroll clerks screen timecards, compute pay by subtracting...'difference between form and kinddifference between 'few', 'little' and 'some'?What does 'walk back up' mean?usual vs. usuallywhat does it mean insulates? aggravates?what does "portcullises" mean?pull the wool over your eyes? Is that an idiom?Put one over on him? Is that an idiom or a phrasal verb?What does shortage mean?what does it mean 'push the envelope'?