reduction; curtailing; decrease
quality
demeanor
cutback
tackle

What's Your Hobby?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Can you swype? | Is America Number One?
What's Your Hobby? #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:28 am   What's Your Hobby?

Hi.. What's your hobby?
My hobby is/are (WHICH ONE THE TRUE, IS OR ARE?) Listening to the music, Playing piano, shopping, etc.
How about you?
PinkAngel

Location: Indonesia

What's Your Hobby? #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 01, 2006 19:11 pm   What's Your Hobby?

Hi Pink Angel,

If you have only one hobby, then you can say: My hobby is.
In your case: My hobbies are: listening to music, playing the piano, Ö
Then I would say: Which one is correct: is or are?

Mine are: (like you) listening to music (Iím a fan of Dismuke Radio on the net, for example) and playing the piano (not very well, in my case), but I donít like shopping at all. I also love reading, singing (from jazz to traditional Celtic songs),dancing (flamenco and belly dance) and solitary walks in the countryside.

Happy New Year!

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What's Your Hobby? #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:48 am   What's Your Hobby?

Thanks(WHICH ONE IS CORRECT:THANKS OR THANK'S?) Conchita..
Conchita wrote:
and playing the piano (not very well, in my case

What's the meaning of my case?
PinkAngel

Location: Indonesia

Thanks or thank #4 (permalink) Tue Jan 03, 2006 13:37 pm   Thanks or thank

Hi Pink Angel!

PinkAngel wrote:
WHICH ONE IS CORRECT:THANKS OR THANK'S?

Thanks is correct.

PinkAngel wrote:
What's the meaning of my case

My case means as for me.

Good luck and happy New Year!
_________________
Factum non fabula
Sidle Jinks

Location: Sevastopol, Ukraine

What's Your Hobby? #5 (permalink) Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:54 am   What's Your Hobby?

My hobbies are a little strange, because whatever starts out as a hobby ends up as some kind of profession.

I started adulthood in art school, and while I was working on my bachelor of fine arts degree, languages were my hobby.

Then I got a master's degree in linguistics, and art was my hobby.

During that time, aikido was my hobby, but after I got my black belt I wound up teaching it, so it was less of a hobby.

Now my hobbies are linguistics, art, bicycling, reading about economics, designing and maintaining websites, and digitizing and restoring old audio-lingual cassette programs with my computer (cleaning out the tape noise, etc.). Some of the programs I like the best are the Russian language materials from Soviet times. They're like another universe for me.

IM Hobbyless #6 (permalink) Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:43 am   IM Hobbyless

Im like the only person I no that doesnt have a hobbie I want one so bad but I cant think of anythign I was gunna play an instiment but I cant afford to im depressed and bored help me find a hobbie :(
Steph

Aikio? #7 (permalink) Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:53 am   Aikio?

Jamie (K) wrote:

Hi Jamie (K), are you still teaching aikido? What is it like? Is like karate or kong fu?
Jamie (K) wrote:
Now my hobbies are linguistics, art, bicycling, reading about economics, designing and maintaining websites, and digitizing and restoring old audio-lingual cassette programs with my computer (cleaning out the tape noise, etc.). Some of the programs I like the best are the Russian language materials from Soviet times.

And what do you do with those audio files? Do you listen to them yourself? I take it you understand Russian - you said you have studied languages?
_________________
Life is for living.
Nicole

Location: Bern, Switzerland

What's Your Hobby? #8 (permalink) Tue Jan 24, 2006 0:08 am   What's Your Hobby?

hi ;my hobbies are listening to music, playing volleybol, shopping and sometimes walking on road alone........
Prenses_Elf

Location: Turkey

I'm hobbyless #9 (permalink) Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:32 am   I'm hobbyless

Steph wrote:

Hello Steph,

Youíd be surprised at the number of people who have no hobbies. Unfortunately, what you said about playing an instrument is true Ė lessons are usually far too expensive, let alone musical instruments Ė though I have a vague idea that it isnít so everywhere (could someone comment on this, please?). Itís all the more deplorable when you think that this is much more than a hobby and should be part of oneís education really.

Have you thought of something else you would like to take up? If you like arts and crafts, thereís a whole range of possibilities there. Itís not easy recommending a hobby, especially without knowing you better. If you want something bad enough, though, it shouldnít be impossible to get it. Let us know how youíre faring!

Aikido? #10 (permalink) Tue Jan 24, 2006 15:27 pm   Aikido?

Nicole wrote:
Jamie (K) wrote:

When I lived in the Czech Republic, there was no aikido in my town, so I didn't train in the three years I lived there. When I came back home, I had to care for my elderly parents, so I didn't have time for aikido.

Aikido can most be compared to judo, but it's not the same and doesn't look that similar. Sometimes I jokingly say it's like Tai Chi that hurts. The throws and holds work largely through manipulating people's joints, pressing nerves and using an attacker's momentum against him. The techniques are such that if a person doesn't attack you, you pretty much can't use aikido on him (since there is no momentum). The techniques are also designed not to cause injury, although some of them can break an arm or a leg if they are done wrong. There is no kicking, no hard punching (only quick light punches to "change his attention"), and in most styles there are no tournaments or competitions. The movements are very circular, so some people think it looks like dancing. The practice is mostly philosophical, and our teacher from Japan did not allow us instructors to talk about or teach self-defense in our classes.

Nicole wrote:
Jamie (K) wrote:

Decades ago, the US government created audio-lingual self-teaching programs a little bit like the Pimsleur programs, but they move you along faster. These programs are in quite an array of languages, from Amharic, through Kirundi and Lao, all the way to Yoruba. Each level usually comes with a book and anywhere from 10 to 36 cassettes, and they can be ordered from the government. When I was younger I started hoarding some of these. Now cassettes are going bye-bye, and I'm just digitizing the ones I have, so that I can use them more flexibly in the electronic age.

You probably know that Americans drive long distances, and when I burn a lesson or two onto a rewritable CD, I can get an hour or two of language practice in every day, just while I'm driving to my jobs. I load them into an MP3 player when I'm working out, and I go for long walks at night and use them then too.

I understand and speak a little Russian because after I moved home fluent in Czech, I started teaching myself a bit of Russian. I studied some German and French in high school, and added a little Italian in college, but almost all my language study is done on my own. Classes are too slow for me. Because of this, my college transcripts show me going from German 202 to German 531 with no classes in between! That was a weird experience, because I spoke almost as much German as the university students, but I knew different vocabulary. Their words mainly came from literature, and mine came from the news, economics, art or whatever interested me.

Hobbieless #11 (permalink) Sat Feb 25, 2006 18:19 pm   Hobbieless

Hi, I have a boyfriend that has all sorts of hobbies; he is into a million things and this morning he told me I should have a hobbie, I like a lot of things but again, I dont have much money to spend on any hobbie that requires buying stuff all the time. Im an activist and a human rights advocate, and that is my passion and fortunately I can have it as a job that keeps me busy, but I want something else, something fun that sparks my interest and creativity. Any ideas?
FLOR

Recreational pursuit #12 (permalink) Sat Feb 25, 2006 20:29 pm   Recreational pursuit

Hello Flor,

How about writing in these forums for a start :) ? (I have to admit that this is my newly acquired interest Ė in fact, Iíve just included it in my profile!). Then thereís singing, unless youíre sure youíre totally tone-deaf: itís absolutely soul-soothing (though, maybe not always for the audience!) and itís free. Try joining a choir or any other amateur group. Dancing is another great heart-lifting activity. You donít even need to join a class, though it can be great fun. Invent your own choreography and dance along to your favourite music.

My ideas may not be very original, but they work for me. The possibilities are endless, itís only a pity that the time we have is not! Please let us know if you take up a fascinating hobby or how youíre doing in your pursuit.

Your job sounds exciting. Would you care to tell us a bit more about it?

What's Your Hobby? #13 (permalink) Tue Mar 07, 2006 16:40 pm   What's Your Hobby?

My hobby is painting. :-)
Karina

Location: Poland

I got a hobby now #14 (permalink) Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:57 am   I got a hobby now

Hi, well sorry for all the time it took me to respond, but here I am, and with good news. I decided to go back to softball, I joined a girls league, and my boyfriend and I will play coed softball on sundays, so that is a hobby I guess.
My job, well, human rights are my passion and the reason I get up in the morning everyday. Not everyone can be an activist I understand but I have the pleasure of doing it for all of us!
Visit www.aiusa.org to learn how to help.
Flor Arballo

Working for Amnesty International? #15 (permalink) Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:05 am   Working for Amnesty International?

Hi Flor Arballo, so you work for Amnesty International? How did you start this job? Is it a full time job or do you do it on a voluntary basis? Could you please tell us more about your activities so we might better support you?
Best wishes,
Nicole
_________________
Life is for living.
Nicole

Location: Bern, Switzerland

Can you swype? | Is America Number One?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
English-Team goes Lovoo....Asian Code of HonourThis funny?Do you believe in ancestral leadership?Are all clappers are supporters?What can you buy in a back shop?Watch out for basic slipsWhat kind of sports do you like?Why I like 'The Office'Keep practicingBad design?Sharing my experiences in teaching German to Japanese flight attendantsOne of the book I love, the Exodus