more distant; additional
further
main
routine
substantive

Thank you for informing me vs thank you for having informed me

"Should" vs "Should be" | punctuation of OTHER THAN
Thank you for informing me vs thank you for having informed me #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 13, 2010 14:12 pm   Thank you for informing me vs thank you for having informed me

Dear respected teachers,

I've been confused with these two ways of speaking and cannot figure out what the difference is between them and how, when (situation) to use them correctly?

Also, by the way, I've heard people say many times though I am not so sure I've caught up their right meaning of "having said that". I've searched and found some explanation as follow. As being native speakers, could you advise if it's right, please.

It's a linking phrase or conjunction which people use in different ways to join two clauses. It is quite general and can be used to replace other conjunctions, but I tend to use it when I want to put the opposite view or qualify what I said in the first clause. It is better used at the beginning when the second clause is a new sentence.

I love teaching English. However/Having said that/On the other hand, students can be annoying!
London is a very expensive city. Having said that/Neverthless I love living there.

So the literal meaning is "Having said what I have just said" - which is very complicated!

Thanks U all,

KK
K1ngk0ng

Thank you for informing me vs thank you for having informed me #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 13, 2010 20:03 pm   Thank you for informing me vs thank you for having informed me

That's right KK. It gets even more confusing when you think of the full meaning:

Having said what I have just said, I will now say something else which seems to be the opposite of what I first said. ;)
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Thank you for informing me vs thank you for having informed me #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:06 am   Thank you for informing me vs thank you for having informed me

Can some one show me the difference in meaning of [thank you for informing me vs thank you for having informed me], please?

Thanks Beeeesneees a lot.
K1ngk0ng

Thank you for informing me vs thank you for having informed me #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:10 am   Thank you for informing me vs thank you for having informed me

There isn't one. I'd say the latter feels more formal, but they're both standard.
Mordant

Location: United States

meaning of 'hassle' in this context?Question about Simple pastLoving day vs lovely daya question about prepositionDo not pull on the power cord."identify / check" your modelchanging a resolution to lowerAdjective+(in, of, to)! that's made me confusedweather forecast and weather reportspeaking and writing skillsWeekend leaveMAKE AND DOContact Lens