Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

tool; implement; device; appliance; agent; means
fee
instrument
liberal
debris
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

the difference between home and house

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What are knitted mitts? | Glance vs. flash a look
listening exercisestell a friend
the difference between home and house #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 14, 2010 17:45 pm   the difference between home and house

hi dear teachers good evening
can u please tell me the usage of home and house
Sama2
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

the difference between home and house #2 (permalink) Wed Jul 14, 2010 17:49 pm   the difference between home and house

A 'house' is basically the structure/the building where you live.
'Home' is the concept that turns a 'house' into the place where you live, and where generally you would expect to feel comfortable and safe.
Language Coach

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
the difference between home and house #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 14, 2010 18:02 pm   the difference between home and house

Hi Sama,

There's a television advertisement that tells you about things you can buy for where you live, for your house. The words used in the advertisement say: Make a house a home, which suggests that you turn your house into a comfortable place to live in if you buy certain products

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

the difference between home and house #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:56 am   the difference between home and house

hi dear alan many thanx to your answer but again i cant understand
Sama2

the difference between home and house #5 (permalink) Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:28 am   the difference between home and house

Thanks for the questions and the answer, I have a question, I see a slogan that's "home sweets home". How can i understand it?
AthaoDeplao

the difference between home and house #6 (permalink) Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:36 am   the difference between home and house

Hi Sama,

Let's start again. A house is a place, a building where you live. It usually has a number or sometimes a name. She lives at number 24, West Grove Street, that is her house. A home is also a place where you live but it also describes a place where you feel comfortable and relaxed because it's your house and you live there. It's used in expressions as in this sentence: He's lived in China for 20 years and now he wants to go home to his own country.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

the difference between home and house #7 (permalink) Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:39 am   the difference between home and house

Hi Nmthao_1989,

The expression is 'home, sweet home' and it describes either the place where you live or your own country. It's called 'sweet' because it gives you feelings of warmth and happiness. You would make this remark as you arrive at your front door after a long absence because you are very pleased to be home.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

the difference between home and house #8 (permalink) Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:42 am   the difference between home and house

thanks Alan
AthaoDeplao

the difference between home and house #9 (permalink) Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:38 pm   the difference between home and house

Sama2 wrote:
hi dear alan many thanx to your answer but again i cant understand
Which part of Alan's explanation can you not understand? By the way, in English we start each sentence with a capital letter and we capitalize names and the word 'I'. We also end each sentence with a full stop/period.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Don't we have to sign in at the front desk?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

the difference between home and house #10 (permalink) Sun Jul 18, 2010 18:04 pm   the difference between home and house

I think it is easy to learn it like this :

you can live in diffrent kind of house like condo or townhouse .But HOME is a place where you live.For example if somebody ask you "what kind of house do you live in?", you can answer : I live in a townhouse. But if they ask "what kind of home do you live in?" it might mean how is your family ?

Am I right?

best regards
Ramin
Ramin5
You can meet me at english-test.net

What are knitted mitts? | Glance vs. flash a look
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does zoom out mean?What does 'try your luck' mean?Are interested proteins and proteins of interest interchangable?After 'tell' we always have to put an object or in that case a personnel pronounscomedy vs. tragedydelivered vs. transportedNever give up?conviced vs satisfiedWhy On is used here?expedient vs expertWhat does "be away from danger" mean?difference between whom and whose?meaning of senior