Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

course or method of action; guidelines; position; standpoint; insurance contract
caveat
policy
destruction
electrician
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning "heart smart"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Trouble with a type 2 conditional | use of in/at classess.
listening exercisestell a friend
meaning "heart smart" #1 (permalink) Sat Jul 17, 2010 17:30 pm   meaning "heart smart"

Hi,

Just ran across this sentence:

All the snacks we stole are "heart-smart" What the hell is a radish anyway? It's like an apple did it with an onion.

Could you tell me the meaning of "heart-smart", because I couldn't find a definition of "smart" that would fit the context.
My only conjecture, or better yet my first impression was that "heart smart" means "beneficial to the human heart", but I'm having second thoughts about that.

Thanks in advance.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

meaning "heart smart" #2 (permalink) Sat Jul 17, 2010 17:48 pm   meaning "heart smart"

Hi Dean,

Yes, you've got the basic idea.

A food that is 'heart smart' is one that helps prevent heart disease.
This adjective is used to describe food that is low in fat and cholesterol and therefore reduces the risk of heart disease (informal).

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
meaning "heart smart" #3 (permalink) Sat Jul 17, 2010 17:54 pm   meaning "heart smart"

Hi Amy,

Thanks for confirming my conjecture, and I think I ought to switch to that dictionary of yours, from all indications, it seems to be more inclusive than www.thefreedictionary.com
I'm a Communicator ;-)

meaning "heart smart" #4 (permalink) Sat Jul 17, 2010 19:18 pm   meaning "heart smart"

Hi Dean,

The site onelook.com is very handy. It will search numerous dictionaries for you:
http://www.onelook.com/?w=heart+smart&ls=a

Trouble with a type 2 conditional | use of in/at classess.
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
a pair of cars"He grunted...if there is any mistake please correct it: Ganesh[Idiom] take the edge off somethingpast times: could have gone/could gospotting english errorsPossessive nouns"The girls...if there is any mistake please correct it: GaneshArctic sea ice has melted to its thinnest state in Junenot only "something" but also "something else" as well0.03 degrees FahrenheitThe usage of 'if at all'What does "let's play it by ear" mean?grab at the chance to do something