course or method of action; guidelines; position; standpoint; insurance contract
caveat
policy
destruction
electrician

meaning "heart smart"

Trouble with a type 2 conditional | use of in/at classess.
meaning "heart smart" #1 (permalink) Sat Jul 17, 2010 17:30 pm   meaning "heart smart"

Just ran across this sentence:

All the snacks we stole are "heart-smart" What the hell is a radish anyway? It's like an apple did it with an onion.

Could you tell me the meaning of "heart-smart", because I couldn't find a definition of "smart" that would fit the context.
My only conjecture, or better yet my first impression was that "heart smart" means "beneficial to the human heart", but I'm having second thoughts about that.

Thanks in advance.
_________________

meaning "heart smart" #2 (permalink) Sat Jul 17, 2010 17:48 pm   meaning "heart smart"

Hi Dean,

Yes, you've got the basic idea.

A food that is 'heart smart' is one that helps prevent heart disease.
This adjective is used to describe food that is low in fat and cholesterol and therefore reduces the risk of heart disease (informal).
.
_____________________________________________________
“One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.” ~ James Earl Jones
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
meaning "heart smart" #3 (permalink) Sat Jul 17, 2010 17:54 pm   meaning "heart smart"

Hi Amy,

Thanks for confirming my conjecture, and I think I ought to switch to that dictionary of yours, from all indications, it seems to be more inclusive than www.thefreedictionary.com
_________________

meaning "heart smart" #4 (permalink) Sat Jul 17, 2010 19:18 pm   meaning "heart smart"

Hi Dean,

The site onelook.com is very handy. It will search numerous dictionaries for you:
http://www.onelook.com/?w=heart+smart&ls=a

___________________________________________________
"Dictionary: opinion expressed as truth in alphabetical order." ~ John Ralston Saul
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

a pair of cars"He grunted...if there is any mistake please correct it: Ganesh[Idiom] take the edge off somethingpast times: could have gone/could gospotting english errorsPossessive nouns"The girls...if there is any mistake please correct it: GaneshArctic sea ice has melted to its thinnest state in Junenot only "something" but also "something else" as well0.03 degrees FahrenheitThe usage of 'if at all'What does "let's play it by ear" mean?grab at the chance to do something