to arrange in proper order
coordinate
advertise
call
litter

What does 'notional concord' mean?

"Arbitrary" and "affiliate" usage. | terminable offense
What does 'notional concord' mean? #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 28, 2010 15:02 pm   What does 'notional concord' mean?

In a nutshell, what does 'notional concord' mean? Can you kindly cite an example?

Example: She is grammatically correct with 'them' for English lessons, but notional concord easily overcomes that, and 'it' = taking English lessons is an easy step in comprehension for the reader to take.
Grammarholic

What does 'notional concord' mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:13 am   What does 'notional concord' mean?

Notional concord is concord decided by the speaker's idea/perception rather than grammar. If the speaker uses 'a group of ladies are coming', he is using notional concord-- the perception that it is several individuals-- rather than the grammatically singular 'group'.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
will or wouldEnding a formal e-mailI always listen to the radio (while) having breakfast.is organized bybecome aware of someone doing somethingin/on all continents?de jureI took a TOEICŪ test for the first time in two years.cackled...GaneshOn return/upon return/at returnUsage of "prison/school"Commas Separating Parenthetical PhrasesIdiom: re: haste