careful; cautious
town
curt
circumspect
limited

What does blow mean?

Get used to vs. get held to | At the end of the road
What does blow mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Jan 10, 2006 14:36 pm   What does blow mean?

ESL/EFL Test #59 "Chit Chat: On the phone", question 7

Woman: Sorry to hear that. That must have been a ..........

(a) hit
(b) strike
(c) blow
(d) knock

ESL/EFL Test #59 "Chit Chat: On the phone", answer 7

Woman: Sorry to hear that. That must have been a blow.

Correct answer: (c) blow

Woman: Sorry to hear that. That must have been a strike.
_________________________

What does blow mean?

Elata
Elata

Blow #2 (permalink) Tue Jan 10, 2006 16:44 pm   Blow

Hi Elata,

The word means a shock or great surprise when you receive a piece of bad news.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What does blow mean? #3 (permalink) Mon Jul 28, 2008 15:54 pm   What does blow mean?

I knew the meaning, but doesn't that word sound vulgar in American English?
Tupapa

What does blow mean? #4 (permalink) Tue Jul 29, 2008 16:16 pm   What does blow mean?

The word can be used in a slang context for reference to an explicit sexual act, but, the word by itself has so many definitions both as a noun and a verb that's it's widely used without reference to the limited context you refer to.

You need to make a deliberate effort with a couple of limited constructions for it to be perceived as a vulgar term. It's completely safe to use in any conversation without any hint of vulgarity, and is widely used without any hint of vulgarity.

In truth, I can think of only 2 situations where the word 'blow' can be used as slang with a vulgar meaning. I'd rather avoid going into specifics on a public forum such as this, but I think it's fair to mention possible situations so you can avoid them.

The first, the word 'blow' is used as an adjective modifying the word 'job'. In such a case, yes, this is a reference to an explicit sexual act. Avoid this unless it is your deliberate intent to discuss such a situation. Be aware that it is an extremely explicit phrase.

The other possible vulgar slang usage is to use the word as a verb, in an imperative sentence. In such a case, you would be commanding the person you're talking to to perform the above mentioned act. Again, very graphic and explicit.

If you'd like further clarification, I'd be glad to answer, but it's probably better to ask via private message versus getting too obscene on the forum.

However, as I said, only when used in those two special, deliberate cases is it taken to be vulgar. Otherwise, you're fine using the word, without risk of being perceived as vulgar.

The following sentences are examples of commonly used sentences with the word blow, none with a vulgar meaning.

He was hit with a sharp blow to the head.
The wind is blowing very hard today
The wind blew all day yesterday.
That must have been quite a blow to you.
He blows the trumpet loudly.
Did you blow a gasket after that?
The fight came to blows.

There's also a number of idioms with the word 'blow', all perfectly safe to use.
'blowing hot air', 'blow off steam', 'blow hot and cold', etc.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

What does blow mean? #5 (permalink) Tue Jul 29, 2008 16:45 pm   What does blow mean?

As I said, even I knew the meaning of the word used in a good way, I was not comfortable using it because I also saw the word used in not sacred contexts. Unfortunately, we don't find in the grammar books explanations like you have provided.

Let me tell you that your explanation has been very clear and now I know I'll have peace on my mint when I decide to use it. I'll try to incorporate it to my vocabulary.

The conclusion is that is not only the language we need to know but the culture behind.

Thanks so much
Tupapa

What does blow mean? #6 (permalink) Tue Jul 29, 2008 18:12 pm   What does blow mean?

Hi Skrej,

I think you've rather laboured the point about the word 'blow' having sexual connotations. If someone has a mind for it, there are precious few words in English that can't be hauled up before a court of puritans for being used with a double meaning and found wanting. Don't scare people too much!

_________________

Blow #7 (permalink) Fri May 01, 2009 17:12 pm   Blow

The tests seem easy, however there are some things that I think I know but I do not. Thanks for tests!
Anush

What does blow mean? #8 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 20:40 pm   What does blow mean?

hello,
can anyone tell me the difference between the words > BLOW and STRIKE?
blow means "shock" or a great surprise when you receive a piece of bad news.

and I've heard saying like>"That was a striking moment!"
Doesn't it mean the same like a "shocking moment"?
or any difference in meaning?
please help me

Thank you
Amal.
Amalmusica

CHIT CHAT :ON THE PHONE #9 (permalink) Wed May 27, 2009 7:38 am   CHIT CHAT :ON THE PHONE

I couldn't understand , why u r using blow can u explain me
Suba1

What does blow mean? #10 (permalink) Wed May 27, 2009 7:50 am   What does blow mean?

.
What? Where? Could you please supply some context?
.
_________________

CHIT CHAT :ON THE PHONE #11 (permalink) Wed May 27, 2009 8:37 am   CHIT CHAT :ON THE PHONE

Suba1 wrote:

Hi Suba,

Alan answered this question a while ago here: What does 'blow' mean?

By the way, your question was written in a chatroom/SMS style. Please stick to basic English language rules. After all, our forum is for people who want learn proper English.

TOEIC listening, talks: Reporting on a fire

What does blow mean? #12 (permalink) Sun Oct 25, 2009 20:39 pm   What does blow mean?

Can you tell me what is the diference between these words? I found them out in my dictionary and i donīt see the difference between their meaning.
(a) hit
(b) strike
(c) blow
(d) knock
Tinuska

What does blow mean? #13 (permalink) Sun Oct 25, 2009 23:42 pm   What does blow mean?

The main difference is in how they collocate-- they are used in different situations (too numerous to mention). First, when we are speaking of wielding a heavy object, 'hit', 'knock' and 'strike' are generally verbs, while 'blow' is only a noun.

The batter tries to hit the baseball until he strikes out. If the batter is hit/struck by a pitch, he and the pitcher may come to blows, but seldom is either of them knocked out.
_________________

question #14 (permalink) Sun Jul 11, 2010 14:19 pm   question

Dera Torsten,
Would you please tel me what does'That must have been a blow'mean?
With regard
Mitra

_________________
Peace&Love
Mitra584

Location: Iran

What does blow mean? #15 (permalink) Sun Jul 11, 2010 14:54 pm   What does blow mean?

Either: That must have been a setback.
or: That must have been upsetting.
depending on the greater context.

A setback is an event that delays your progress or reverses some of the progress that you have made.
_________________

The meaning of 'roll class'?to audition for a role?Why use "all of the flowers" instead of "all the flowers"?'as soon as' vs 'when'It can be like this know? Make vs. madeWord order in indirect questionsUn-hot vs. coldMeaning of "I'm doing fine"What does blow mean?, page 2Want to find out who drove the red carDifference between finish and endDifference between finished and endedBeginning of the end?