a deliberate and vigorous gesture or motion
gesticulation
concord
shyster
adjutant

GRE®®® issue essay: "Only through mistakes can there be discovery or progress

GRE Practice tests Increase your GRE test score with
plus 3.750 GRE word flash cards
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test
GRE®®® issue essay:"Tradition and modernization are incompatible. One must ch | GRE® argu essay: "The following appeared in a medical newsletter. “Doctors ha
GRE®® issue essay: "Only through mistakes can there be discovery or progress #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:53 pm   GRE®® issue essay: "Only through mistakes can there be discovery or progress

"Only through mistakes can there be discovery or progress."

While it might seem plausible at first glance, I generally cannot agree with the statement. Admittedly by drawing lessons from mistakes one may get closer to success, but what the speaker claims is not only too extreme, but also neglects the essential relationship between the pair.

Everyone would make mistakes, even the best ones stumble. Having viewed careers of the acknowledged successful ones, such as Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison and Steven Jobs, we may find that their way to discoveries or achievements are paved with myriads of mistakes even resounding defeats. From these examples we can see that mistakes, which are nearly unavoidable in one’s life, are not signs of shame and incapacity. They may expose all our warts and pimples, and teach us precious lessons that may help pursue our goals greatly. That is what is meant by "failure is the mother of success".

"If winter comes, can spring be far behind?" It is said by P. B. Shelley, and I take his words for granted. The jump that bounces from mistakes to the final success is the inevitability from the quantitative to qualitative changes. Take physical experiments for example. I still remember when our group was in the laboratory for research, every week we were upset with a great deal of data that hardly met our requirements. But by the careful analysis of the reason why it failed, we corrected several hidden errors concluded many skills to improve the research methods, which finally led to the ideal results. Mistakes do not necessarily indicate one is totally unqualified or hopeless, in most case they may be attributed to the lack of preparation, the poor experience or perhaps accidental factors. If one takes a positive attitude towards mistakes and absorb experience and lesson from them, then the bitter cold of failure will be blown up by the vernal breeze of achievement.

However, is it accurate that success is always one step behind the mistakes, as the statement claims? Obviously it is unwarranted, for the simple reason that if so, there would be no loser in our world. As is mentioned above, everyone may commit fallacies, but some take them as stepping stones to achieve more while others turn mistakes into absolute failures. Then the question comes that what distinguish the former from the latter? As far as I am concerned, what really counts is the attitude towards mistakes. Mistake itself is not fearful. The most fearful thing is the dread that makes a person frightened of facing mistakes. What is more, some may give up trying under the pretext of avoiding mistakes, which actually sets a barrier keeping them from the discovery and progress that they would have achieved. Only the attitude towards mistakes of optimism as well as seriousness can enable us to make persistent efforts and realize dreams.

In a word, success will not come into being automatically after failures. We ourselves are the reason why in mistakes progress is born. To the great wills, making mistakes will only a setback unworthy of mark, and they are always full charged of courage to face the frustrating situations
Atlas

GRE®® issue essay: "Only through mistakes can there be discovery or prog #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:22 am   GRE®® issue essay: "Only through mistakes can there be discovery or prog

"If winter comes, can spring be far behind?" It is said by P. B. Shelley, and I take his words for granted. The jump that bounces from mistakes to the final success is the inevitability from the quantitative to qualitative changes. Take physical experiments for example. I still remember when our group was in the laboratory for research, every week we were upset with a great deal of data that hardly met our requirements. But by the careful analysis of the reason why it failed, we corrected several hidden errors AND /concluded/refined/many skills to improve the research methods, which finally led to the ideal results. Mistakes do not necessarily indicate one is totally unqualified or hopeless(.) In most caseS they may be attributABLE to the lack of preparation, the poor experience or perhaps accidental factors. If one takes a positive /attitude/APPROACH/ towards mistakes and absorbS experience and lessonS from them, then the bitter cold of failure will be blown up by the vernal breeze of achievement.

However, is it accurate that success is always one step behind the mistakes, as the statement claims? Obviously THE CLAIM is unwarranted, for the simple reason that if so, there would be no loserS in our world. As is mentioned above, everyone may commit fallacies, but some take them as stepping stones to achieve more(,) while others turn mistakes into absolute failures. Then the question comes that what distinguishES the former from the latter? As far as I am concerned, what really counts is the attitude towards mistakes. A mistake itself is not fearful. The most fearful thing is the dread that makes a person frightened of facing mistakes. What is more, some may give up trying under the pretext of avoiding mistakes, which actually sets a barrier keeping them from the discovery and progress that they would have achieved. Only the attitude towards mistakes of optimism, as well as seriousness, can enable us to make persistent efforts and realize dreams.

In a word, success will not come into being automatically after failures. We ourselves are the reason why in mistakes progress is born. To the great wills, making mistakes will only BE SEEN AS a setback unworthy of mark, and they are always full charged of courage to face the frustrating situations.
.............................................................................................................................
An inspiring essay Atlas. You continue to progress.

_________________

GRE Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 750 free GRE Vocabulary TestsGRE Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise GRE scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportGRE Practice Tests — Learn the most essential GRE vocabulary words you need to pass the GRE with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
GRE®® issue essay: "Only through mistakes can there be discovery or prog #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:50 am   GRE®® issue essay: "Only through mistakes can there be discovery or prog

Thank you very much You guidance help me quite a lot
Atlas

ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GRE Test Forums
GRE®® Argumentive Essay: Previous experience has shown that our stores are mostGRE®® Issue Essay:"Because of television and worldwide computer connections,GRE®®® issue essay:"The surest indicator of a great nation is not the achieveGRE®®® issue essay:"Most people are taught that loyalty is a virtue. But loyaGRE®® Issue Essay:"What we call progress is a matter of exchanging one probleGRE®® essay:Issue7 “The video camera provides such an accurate and convincingArgument essay evaluation required.GRE® argu essay:The following appeared in a newspaper feature story. “At the smallGRE®® Issue Essay:"In 90 towns where Excello has food markets, natural-food sGRE® essay:We can usually learn much more from people whose views we shareGRE®® Argument 13: The following appeared in a memo from the chief executive of aGRE®® Issue Essay:"It is necessary for everyone to read poetry, novels, mythoGRE®® Issue Essay:"It is necessary for everyone to read poetry, novels, mytho