preciseness; exactness
assembly
accuracy
rectangle
back

Difference between other and another

Usage quit instead of leave | Who is calling?
Difference between other and another #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 12, 2006 21:58 pm   Difference between other and another

ESL/EFL Test #74 "other/another/others/the others", question 1

There are ten pieces of fruit in my basket. One is an orange, one is a grape and ......... is an apple.

(a) others
(b) the other
(c) another
(d) the others

ESL/EFL Test #74 "other/another/others/the others", answer 1

There are ten pieces of fruit in my basket. One is an orange, one is a grape and another is an apple.

Correct answer: (c) another

There are ten pieces of fruit in my basket. One is an orange, one is a grape and the other is an apple.
_________________________

what is the difference between other and another in this sentence? thanks in advance.
kathy

Difference between other and another #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:38 am   Difference between other and another

And my question would be: Isn't the phrase 'the other' in the second sentence implying that there are only three pieces of fruit in the basket, not ten. It sounds like the end of the list to me.

Thanks in advance.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between other and another #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 13, 2006 22:40 pm   Difference between other and another

Dear Kathy,
Like Conchita pointed out already, in that sentence "the other" implies that there were only three fruits, not ten. "Another" implies that out of the varieties of pieces of fruit, one of them was an apple.If you say another in that sentence, there is an understanding that there are other fruits in that basket.

Now the difference bettwen "another" and "other" (notice, not "the other") is....
Another: A other or AN other part. usually, when you need to say A or AN before OTHER, you say another.
Carolbinda

Illogical sequence in number 1 #4 (permalink) Thu Apr 13, 2006 16:13 pm   Illogical sequence in number 1

Unfortunately, this is an example of a poor and illogical sequence that even a native speaker would have difficulty comprehending.

To first say, “There are ten pieces of fruit...” and then say, “One is an orange, one is a grape.....” would imply that the rest were apples because we are talking about pieces of fruit. Therefore, the second sentence should logically read, “One is an orange, one is a grape and ......... ARE apples,” in which case the answer would be “the others,” because we mean the remaining eight, which are the apples.

If we are speaking of varieties, then the first sentence needs to be changed to read, “There are three fruits,” or “There are three varieties of fruit....”
I suggest that question number 1 either be revised or omitted from this test.
Ejw

Illogical sequence in number 1 #5 (permalink) Thu Apr 13, 2006 17:10 pm   Illogical sequence in number 1

EJW wrote:

And what if we don't want to disclose what the other seven pieces of fruit are? Or only want to enumerate three of them? And why should the rest necessarily be apples?

need HELP with Other, Others, the other, the others #6 (permalink) Thu Apr 02, 2009 17:26 pm   need HELP with Other, Others, the other, the others

need HELP with another,Other,Others,the other,the others and some others!!
Even I've test in English Grammar Test, Elementary Level # 56 (about Other, another, others, the others) many times but i've still not clearly understood them well.
The questions in these site does not cover how to use 'other', need more example and explanation. And what's different between 'Others' and 'some others'????
Schwartz

Illogical sequence in number 1 #7 (permalink) Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:53 am   Illogical sequence in number 1

Ejw wrote:

Hello all... Ok, this is a pretty old thread, but I've just passed this test and had some difficulties too. It took me about 15 minutes, I think, to complete it, as I was trying to understand which of answers was correct. I passed it 10/10 and was surprised... Really, I wasn't sure if my answers were the right ones.
I agree with Ejw that it's not clear what was meant in the 1-st question... and some others. I think that some sort of explanation sentence must be added to the first one, for example: "There are ten pieces of fruit in my basket. One is an orange, one is a grape and ... is an apple. The rest of them are bananas."
This seems much more understandable.
Jimwth

Location: Russian Federation, Moscow

Difference between other and another #8 (permalink) Tue May 12, 2009 19:02 pm   Difference between other and another

This test made me crazy, I did it several times, I know the asnwers before I see the questions, but I don't understand it clearly: other, another. I like it.
Neil011081

need HELP with Other, Others, the other, the others #9 (permalink) Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:17 am   need HELP with Other, Others, the other, the others

Schwartz wrote:

I also have problem about above issue since long time
Yoki

Difference between other and another #10 (permalink) Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:57 am   Difference between other and another

I'm agree with Schwartz.
It's confusing me.. T_T
Is there any clear explanation for this case?
Coozee

Location: Indonesia

Difference between other and another #11 (permalink) Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:13 pm   Difference between other and another

Hi Coozee, please not that your sentence should read I agree... (Not I'm agree). As for your question, please read this: Other vs. others

TOEIC listening, photographs: The cold cabinet

Difference between other and another #12 (permalink) Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:59 am   Difference between other and another

Thank you for your correction & answer, Torsten.. It means a lot to me.
Finally I understand. I passed it 10/10 in my fourth test..
Coozee

Location: Indonesia

Difference between other and another #13 (permalink) Thu May 06, 2010 13:09 pm   Difference between other and another

Is it correct to say for example in Mcdonald`s (I have ketchup): Can I have another dip, please (one more ketchup). Can I have other dip ( one more dip, for example barbecue or I want barbecue instead ketchup). Can I have other dips (I want barbecue, curry and sweat and sour). Can I have the other dip ( I can choose between ketchup and barbecue, I have ketchup, but I want babecue).

I would be grateful, if anybody correct me.
Ferdinant
Ferdinant

Other #14 (permalink) Wed Aug 25, 2010 14:32 pm   Other

Could someone please let me know when I should use "other"?
Tinkoko1985

Difference between other and another #15 (permalink) Thu Mar 31, 2011 21:40 pm   Difference between other and another

I cant understand the meaning of: ten pieces of fruit.
I appreciate your help.
Ukraine.
Tymchuksvet

preposition at/on/in in the example How I got that jobOut on bail?is it correct?worse vs. the worstHis driving scares me a lot.f you choose a bold color for your walls, you should choose some, soft, neutral..Not Mark, though -- he truly loves peopleMeaning of "their side for certain cervical levels"?When I get the wrong answer I want you show, and when I choose the right answerIs "WAS" an intransitive verb here?I don't know what time they'll be back this evening...What is the difference between "whom" and "who"?What is the meaning of the sew?