to be sorry for; to feel remorse; to regret
entreat
forbear
rue
apprise

learning about the past has no value for those of us living present. Do you...?

Do you spend money or save them? | Please rate my essay
learning about the past has no value for those of us living present. Do you...? #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:33 am   learning about the past has no value for those of us living present. Do you...?

Topic: learning about the past has no value for those of us living present. Do you agree or disagree?
Essay:
Someone said that if we use a pistol to shoot the past, the future will use a cannon to shoot us. I am probably sure that history is a very important aspect of society. As far as I am concerned, I strongly believe that we can learn vast of significant lessons from the past, because these lessons will give us the motivation toward to success and teach us how to avoid a lot of mistakes.

To begin with, each countries have their own histories, and all of them proud of their histories. Through studying about events from the past, we can see clearly about what our ancestors did to build and protect our countries. As a result, historical lessons give us pride about our countries, and they motivate us to contribute to the development of countries. For instance, when I study about my history of my country, I recognize that my country is so great. In the twentieth century, my homeland, a small country, fought with French colonialism and US in order to get independence and freedom, and we won. Nowadays, new generations try to study and work hard to follow our ancestors to develop my country.

In addition, it is undeniable that learning some lessons from history help us to prevent some errors, which we had done in the past. In this way, historical lessons provide us basic knowledge to make right decisions. For example, people in the world will never forget the terrible damage of nuclear bombs when US used them to fight Japan in 1945. Moreover, this event warns us about the danger of nuclear weapons. Consequently, we need to study carefully about this event to avoid repeating again, and we have to consider about it when we do some things that are related to nuclear powers.

In conclusion, although some people think that studying about the past has no value, I support the opinion that we should learn about the past, because history makes us to proud of our countries and teaches us to prevent mistakes.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a professor and a university student in the professor's office
Tung Lam

learning about the past has no value for those of us living present. Do you... #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:00 pm   learning about the past has no value for those of us living present. Do you...

Essay:
Someone ONCE said that if we use a pistol to shoot the past, the future will use a cannon to shoot us. :-))

I am probably sure that history is a very important aspect of society. As far as I am concerned, I strongly believe that we can learn A vast AMOUNT of significant lessons from the past, because these lessons will give us the motivation toward to success(,) and teach us how to avoid a lot of mistakes.

To begin with, each countrY HAS ITS own historY, and EACH of them ARE proud of their historY. Through studying about events from the past, we can see clearly about what our ancestors did to build and protect our countries. As a result, historical lessons give us pride about our countries, and they motivate us to contribute to the FURTHER development of OUR countries. For instance, when I study about THE history of my country, I recognize that my country is so great. In the twentieth century, my homeland, a small country, fought with French colonialisTS and THE USA in order to get independence and freedom, and we won. Nowadays, new generations try to study and work hard to follow our ancestors to develop my country.

In addition, it is undeniable that learning some lessons from history WILL help us to prevent some errors, which we had MADE in the past. In this way, historical lessons provide us basic knowledge to make THE right decisions. For example, people in the world will never forget the terrible damage of nuclear bombs when THE USA used them to fight Japan in 1945. Moreover, this event warns us about the dangerS of nuclear weapons. Consequently, we need to study carefully about this event to avoid repeating THIS HORROR again, and we have to consider about it when we do some things that are related to nuclear powers.

In conclusion, although some people think that studying about the past has no value, I support the opinion that we should learn about the past, because history makes us to BE proud of our countries and teaches us to prevent OUR MAKING mistakes.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
TL, this was a very good essay. It is nice to note your consistent improvement.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemRead these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Intergrated task-benefits of playing video gamesSuccessful students do well in school for many different reasonsOnline shopping offer lots of advantages. Discuss about this issuedoing homework daily"Not everything that is learned is contained in books"if you could change an important thing in your hometown, what would you change?Please rate my essayPlease rate my essay: Household tasks for Childrenuniforms for high schools neccessary or not requiredIntegrated task: Neanderthals’ ability to speakplease check my essayPlease rate my essay: Studying at home or SchoolThe socialization of children determines the destiny of the society.