to carry; to impart or to communicate by statement, suggestion, gesture or appearance
convey
grant
measure
lesson

convince vs. persuade

somber security guards | I really need to buy some
convince vs. persuade #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 14:38 pm   convince vs. persuade

ESL/EFL Test #267 "Gerund and Infinitive Practice (6)", question 8

I convinced my son and my wife ......... a little longer.

(a) stays
(b) to stay
(c) staying
(d) stay

ESL/EFL Test #267 "Gerund and Infinitive Practice (6)", answer 8

I convinced my son and my wife to stay a little longer.

Correct answer: (b) to stay

_________________________

This sentence is problematic to me. I was explained by Englishman that you can persuade someone to do something.
What is the difference and which sentence is correct?
Mariuszkusz

Location: Lincoln, United Kingdom

convince vs. persuade #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 15:02 pm   convince vs. persuade

You can convince or persuade someone to do something. Both verbs are very similar in meaning.

TOEIC listening, photographs: In the laboratory

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
convince vs. persuade #3 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 15:08 pm   convince vs. persuade

A very ancient "distinction" is that "convince" should be followed by "of" or "that" and that only "persuade" can precede "to." It does not reflect real usage, and it certainly doesn't appear to be very helpful. The idea is just as clear, and if you want to stress the strength of the persuasion, "convince" is a good way to do it. It is true that you might draw criticism from some or lose points if you use it in formal writing, where it is also prevalent.
Mordant

Location: United States

convince vs. persuade #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 15:21 pm   convince vs. persuade

You might also want to read this: convince vs persuade

TOEIC listening, photographs: The earthmover

to convince #5 (permalink) Sat Dec 04, 2010 16:03 pm   to convince

According to Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:to convince+object direct+ verb in inf. This is used in the U.S. and it is the synonym of to persuade.

Can be a "rule" that "verb+object direct +verb" in this case the verb after the object direct is chiefly an infinitive? /with 'to' or without 'to'/?

Thanks:
_________________

flag down a taxiIf only/only ifWhat does 'this is' mean here?article "a" or "the"When we use an article "an" ?He is adorable.he turned out to be a fraud.What does 'as good as it gets' mean?in my neck of the woodsgo through securityask for your ticket and then give you a boarding passIf you build your enterprise on sandThere were all manner of things