Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to carry; to impart or to communicate by statement, suggestion, gesture or appearance
convey
grant
measure
lesson
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

convince vs. persuade

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
somber security guards | I really need to buy some
listening exercisestell a friend
convince vs. persuade #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 14:38 pm   convince vs. persuade

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #267 "Gerund and Infinitive Practice (6)", question 8

I convinced my son and my wife ......... a little longer.

(a) stays
(b) to stay
(c) staying
(d) stay

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #267 "Gerund and Infinitive Practice (6)", answer 8

I convinced my son and my wife to stay a little longer.

Correct answer: (b) to stay

Your answer was: correct

Hello,
This sentence is problematic to me. I was explained by Englishman that you can persuade someone to do something.
What is the difference and which sentence is correct?
Thanks
Mariuszkusz

convince vs. persuade #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 15:02 pm   convince vs. persuade

You can convince or persuade someone to do something. Both verbs are very similar in meaning.

TOEIC listening, photographs: In the laboratory
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
convince vs. persuade #3 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 15:08 pm   convince vs. persuade

A very ancient "distinction" is that "convince" should be followed by "of" or "that" and that only "persuade" can precede "to." It does not reflect real usage, and it certainly doesn't appear to be very helpful. The idea is just as clear, and if you want to stress the strength of the persuasion, "convince" is a good way to do it. It is true that you might draw criticism from some or lose points if you use it in formal writing, where it is also prevalent.
Mordant
Language Coach

convince vs. persuade #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 15:21 pm   convince vs. persuade

You might also want to read this: convince vs persuade

TOEIC listening, photographs: The earthmover
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

to convince #5 (permalink) Sat Dec 04, 2010 16:03 pm   to convince

Hi

According to Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:to convince+object direct+ verb in inf. This is used in the U.S. and it is the synonym of to persuade.

Can be a "rule" that "verb+object direct +verb" in this case the verb after the object direct is chiefly an infinitive? /with 'to' or without 'to'/?

Kati Svaby

somber security guards | I really need to buy some
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
flag down a taxiIf only/only ifWhat does 'this is' mean here?article "a" or "the"When we use an article "an" ?He is adorable.he turned out to be a fraud.What does 'as good as it gets' mean?in my neck of the woodsgo through securityask for your ticket and then give you a boarding passIf you build your enterprise on sandThere were all manner of things