Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

concept; thought; opinion; intention; plan
facilitator
idea
plaid
puzzle
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

with on heads?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
When to use 'make' and 'do'? | Can we say maintaining the order of the crowds?
listening exercisestell a friend
with on heads? #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 18, 2010 22:17 pm   with on heads?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #815 "Easter Island", question 7

All of the moai have clearly ......... features with long earlobes, unhappy looking mouths, and long chins with on heads set on stunted torsos, hands meeting on the midriff.

(a) prominent
(b) personal
(c) impertinent
(d) pestilent

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #815 "Easter Island", answer 7

All of the moai have clearly prominent features with long earlobes, unhappy looking mouths, and long chins with on heads set on stunted torsos, hands meeting on the midriff.

Correct answer: (a) prominent

Hi,

I don't understand that bit between the two brackets. Will you please explain it to me ? Why is that ''on'' there ?

All of the moai have clearly ......... features with long earlobes, unhappy looking mouths, and long chins [with on heads] set on stunted torsos, hands meeting on the midriff.

Thanks

with on heads? #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:24 am   with on heads?

It is a typographical error, Cristina. I have fixed it and several other problems in this test, and the changes should appear with our next database update. Thanks for pointing this out.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
with on heads? #3 (permalink) Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:49 am   with on heads?

Thank you Mr Micawber,

I kept scratching my head over this and yes, the only thing I could come up with was that it was a typo. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't some kind of grammar rule that I had not the slightest idea about. I also considered that those statues might not have been your common looking statues.

:-)

When to use 'make' and 'do'? | Can we say maintaining the order of the crowds?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Test incompl/inter-199, User's Answer 10Test incompl/inter-198, User's Answer 4Test incompl/inter-882, User's Answer 6Test incompl/inter-467, Answer 2Test incompl/advan-858, User's Answer 5What is a surfboard?know each otherTest express/inter-3, Question 10prior to vs. beforePlease describe the composition of a football team.Monday is the day after SundayTest incompl/elem-289, Question 1thanks for the tests, need to improve