Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

holiday
vacation
discussion
budget
replay
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Using Future Perfect Continuous

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of worthy (respected person) | Difference between lives and inhabits
listening exercisestell a friend
Using Future Perfect Continuous #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:35 pm   Using Future Perfect Continuous

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #120 "Perfect Tenses", question 3

By the end of this year I realize I ......... writing tests for three years now.

(a) shall be
(b) shall have been
(c) will be
(d) shall have

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #120 "Perfect Tenses", answer 3

By the end of this year I realize I shall have been writing tests for three years now.

Correct answer: (b) shall have been

Your answer was: incorrect
By the end of this year I realize I will be writing tests for three years now.

why is my answeer incorrect?
Jojo

Shall have been writing #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:42 pm   Shall have been writing

Hi English Learner,

The tense you need here is the Future Perfect Continuous. If you use the Future Continuous: I will/shall be writing - this means you are describing an action which you imagine will take place in the future. But in my sentence I have added: By the end of this year and so we are talking about something that will have been completed by that time.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Shall have been writing #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:15 am   Shall have been writing

so why not just use "will"?

Will #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:26 am   Will

Hi,

Have another look at my answer:

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:42 am Post subject: shall have been writing --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Hi English Learner,

The tense you need here is the Future Perfect Continuous. If you use the Future Continuous: I will/shall be writing - this means you are describing an action which you imagine will take place in the future. But in my sentence I have added: By the end of this year and so we are talking about something that will have been completed by that time.

Alan

Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of worthy (respected person) | Difference between lives and inhabits
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
To be passionate aboutScreamed vs. sighedNothing, anything, everything...Meaning of drowsyMeaning of contrivedVerge vs. versePacing vs. walkingSounds without likeCompensation vs. benefitYou can be sureDifference between Burglar and BanditMeaning of perilSuited vs. fitted