institution of higher education that grants degrees; type of school; council
resource
bulk
college
conjunction

Short explanation of the synonyms

What is a thieve? | What does "completely exhausted" mean?
Short explanation of the synonyms #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:35 am   Short explanation of the synonyms

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #73 "Synonyms for robber and thief", question 9

There is a ......... in this office. Small things from my desk disappear very often.

(a) criminal
(b) thief
(c) robber
(d) gangster

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #73 "Synonyms for robber and thief", answer 9

There is a thief in this office. Small things from my desk disappear very often.

Correct answer: (b) thief
_________________________

please explain this test
Latunda
Latunda

Synonyms for robber and thief #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 23, 2006 14:14 pm   Synonyms for robber and thief

Dear Latunda,
I couldn't figure out what exactly your question was but here is a short explanation of the synonyms in this test. Hope it will help you to take the test.
A robber is a person who steals from someone else in his presence, usually by using force.
A bandit most of the time is a member of a gang (band). Bandits are usually masked and use violence.
A burglar is a person who breaks into a house, or other building (breaks the door, or a window), especially at night, in order to steal something.
A thief (stealer) is someone who steals from somebody else when he/she isn't there. Thieves usually don't use violence.
A shoplifter is a person who takes things from a shop, without paying for them.

Daniela
_________________
English Language Learning Online
Learn English with Daniela
Daniela
Daniela Encheva

Location: Bulgaria

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Encasements vs. incasementShe's vs. she'llExpression "Make a mountain out of a molehill"Whats the meaning of quiet?Careless vs carefreeIn place of chance can one write "accident"?Why don't we use "want" with "to"?Meaning of staggeringDifference between murder and assassinateThe word do is used here for emphasisMeaning of burglarsMeaning of "the desired aim"Why we have to use do?