not before; precluding; barring; except; aside from
though
either
immediately
unless

what does laid off mean?

Difference between owe and debt | Do you know anyone?
what does laid off mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:56 am   what does laid off mean?

ESL/EFL Test #185 "Verb Tense Practice (2)", question 7

He ......... a lot last year. However, he was recently laid-off and is, currently, looking for a new job.

(a) work
(b) works
(c) worked
(d) working

ESL/EFL Test #185 "Verb Tense Practice (2)", answer 7

He worked a lot last year. However, he was recently laid-off and is, currently, looking for a new job.

Correct answer: (c) worked
_________________________

Does laid-off mean Boss fiered her and she is looking for a new job.
Mikle

what does laid off mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:01 am   what does laid off mean?

To be laid off is not the same as to be fired, though in both cases you lose your job.
If you're fired, you have probably screwed up big time which miffed your boss and he kicked you out.
If you're laid off, this somehow softens the blow because it ostensibly has nothing to do with your performance but rather with, for instance, a lack of funds within the company (they can't affort to pay you your salary anymore so they are compelled by the circumstances to let you go).

By the way, do you know Donald Trump's catch phrase? It's "you're fired" said in a very angry voice! Which is a synonym of "you're worthless". "You're laid off" will never work in this context.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I'm out of breath...doesn't have luck vs. he's unluckyI can't see her...Test incompl/elem-298, Question 2The train leaves?How do you like them apples?Is a poster a photo?What's the story behing this name for an anonymous female? (Jane Doe)Test express/advan-40, Question 6Test incompl/inter-133, Question 8Is the canola a kind of plant?What does rake mean?Recommendations for better writing