answering; reacting (esp. positively or sympathetically)
responsive
located
slantwise
available

relative pronoun problem with that

Prepositions: AT for time of day, ON for day | What does prudent mean?
relative pronoun problem with that #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:46 am   relative pronoun problem with that

ESL/EFL Test #848 "Real Life: Sports and Games (2)", question 9

People who ......... jump and ride on a thin board, that has four wheels on it, on pavement. These people stand on the boards and often perform impressive and dangerous tricks on it.

(a) ski
(b) skateboard
(c) roller skate
(d) swim

ESL/EFL Test #848 "Real Life: Sports and Games (2)", answer 9

People who skateboard jump and ride on a thin board, that has four wheels on it, on pavement. These people stand on the boards and often perform impressive and dangerous tricks on it.

Correct answer: (b) skateboard

_________________________

According to English-test.net ESL Lesson: Relative Pronoun, the relative pronoun “that” cannot be used in a non-defining relative clause:
5. In a non-defining relative clause that cannot be used and object relative pronouns cannot be left out.

(http://www.english-test.net/lessons/21/index.html)

However, the test sentence consists of a “that” in a non-defining relative clause. Could you please look into the problem?

Here is the problematic sentence:

People who skateboard jump and ride on a thin board, that has four wheels on it, on pavement.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

relative pronoun problem with that #2 (permalink) Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:12 am   relative pronoun problem with that

There are a few mistakes in that question, Bhikkhu. Thanks for bringing it to our notice. The necessary changes have been made, but won't be viewable until the database refresh.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Test incompl/advan-608, User's Answer 9Test incompl/advan-95, Question 2Test incompl/elem-108, User's Answer 7Thanks - thank youTest incompl/advan-178, Question 3Test incompl/inter-208, Question 9Test incompl/inter-207, User's Answer 6I'm out of breath...doesn't have luck vs. he's unluckyI can't see her...Test incompl/elem-298, Question 2The train leaves?How do you like them apples?