substance obtained from a plant; essence; text paragraph; passage
value
extract
accordance
enclosure

What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?

come across shady | Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad...
What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'? #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 31, 2010 19:12 pm   What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?

"What's the matter, Fred? Do you have a ......... in your giddyup? You look tired and a little sick," Gill asked his friend.

(a) wrench
(b) hitch
(c) cinch
(d) thorn

"What's the matter, Fred? Do you have a hitch in your giddyup? You look tired and a little sick," Gill asked his friend.

Correct answer: (b) hitch

"What's the matter, Fred? Do you have a thorn in your giddyup? You look tired and a little sick," Gill asked his friend.
_________________________

What is the meaning of expression "hitch in your giddyup"?
Oinas

Location: Finland

What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'? #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 01, 2010 16:07 pm   What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?

People use this when they aren't feeling well or when they're cranky (in a bad mood).
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'? #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:36 am   What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?

I checked giddy-up meaning in dictionary. It is as follows:
used as a command to a horse to make it go faster
I can not make out any sense of this meaning in the phrase hitch your giddy-up.
Ajay Nahta

What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'? #4 (permalink) Sat Mar 09, 2013 16:28 pm   What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?

It's not a common saying internationally. I don't think it would be readily understood in the UK and I'm not even sure whether it would be readily understood in the US.
_________________

What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'? #5 (permalink) Sat Mar 09, 2013 17:20 pm   What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?

I agree that it's not a common expression but it is used sometimes and it's used in a humorous way.

To Ajay,

Most people in the US would be able to guess the meaning of this expression because they are familiar with the meanings of 'giddy up' and 'hitch.' It would probably be used in a funny/humorous way and likely comes from the cowboy/Old West era.

Giddy-up means to get going/move at a faster pace and hitch means to get caught up or hooked on something.

If your giddy-up (ability to move/go faster) gets hooked or caught up on something, you can't move/go faster as easily.

This translates into not feeling as well as you normally do etc.
_________________

What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'? #6 (permalink) Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:51 am   What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?

Thanks Linda
I couldn't expect a more beautiful and lucid explanation then this. I'll remember this phrase forever.
Ajay Nahta

What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'? #7 (permalink) Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:07 am   What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?

I really wouldn't use it outside a specific geographical area, Ajay. It would not be readily understood.

In the UK people are familiar with the terms 'giddy-up' and 'hitch' too, but the meaning would have to be guessed at from the context as the phrase itself seems quite odd.
_________________

What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'? #8 (permalink) Mon Mar 11, 2013 16:10 pm   What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?

Hi Ajay,

I'm so glad you found the explanation helpful. :)

Beesnees,

I won't use this expression in the UK. ;)
_________________

What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'? #9 (permalink) Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:06 am   What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?

I'm from the U.S. and I'd like to agree with the other comments here. The expression is not common, but I would be able to guess the meaning. My main understanding of this expression is that you are not feeling/acting like your normal self. Something is preventing you from acting like your normal self.
Michelle_Fl

What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'? #10 (permalink) Mon Jan 27, 2014 20:04 pm   What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?

I would not be able to guess the meaning of this expression without context. If someone had asked me "What does 'hitch in your giddyup' mean", I would have had no idea -- or would probably have guessed wrong.

______________________________________________________
I can make a General in five minutes but a good horse is hard to replace. ~ Abraham Lincoln
Esl_Expert

Location: Connecticut, USA

ANDuse of 'on' in participal phrasefrom the ground upTest incompl/elem-293, Question 3traveling vs. travellingMost children do nothing but playConditional II questionMeaning of the word defiantpassed vs. pastMeaning of "all day long"Difference between the words 'reason' and 'cause'"accommodate my plans" vs. fit my plansDifferences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects