rope; cord; link; connection; equal score in a game
tension
availability
tie
simple

What is the meaning of 'all hat and no cattle'?

Test incompl/inter-289, User's Answer 5 | bring up vs. bring on
What is the meaning of 'all hat and no cattle'? #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 31, 2010 20:03 pm   What is the meaning of 'all hat and no cattle'?

Sure, he drives a nice truck, but he's all ......... and no cattle. He lives with his mom and has no other assets.

(a) brand
(b) grass
(c) land
(d) hat

Sure, he drives a nice truck, but he's all hat and no cattle. He lives with his mom and has no other assets.

Correct answer: (d) hat

Sure, he drives a nice truck, but he's all grass and no cattle. He lives with his mom and has no other assets.
_________________________

What is the meaning of "all hat and no cattle"?
Oinas

Location: Finland

What is the meaning of 'all hat and no cattle'? #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 01, 2010 16:06 pm   What is the meaning of 'all hat and no cattle'?

It's an expression that refers to someone who wants to represent himself/herself in a certain way but he/she isn't really like that.
In this sentence, the man drives an expensive truck (so he wants to appear wealthy) but he has no other assets (like a house etc.) and lives with his parents.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does the letter's impact mean?So what are the main steps involved in (creating) a print- based advertisement?What does lost our momentum mean?Living abraod can be great?Why did he not burn his material?What is a good date movie?Test incompl/inter-290, User's Answer 3Test incompl/inter-290, User's Answer 2Test incompl/inter-289, User's Answer 10Test incompl/inter-289, User's Answer 3Test incompl/inter-289, User's Answer 2Test incompl/inter-288, User's Answer 9One word omitted?