Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

putting to use; putting into action; effort; struggle; strain
exertion
particular
cure
state
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between burglar and thief

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does this idiom mean: "I'll eat my hat"? | Using Present Progressive Tense
listening exercises
Difference between burglar and thief #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 26, 2006 23:06 pm   Difference between burglar and thief

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #73 "Synonyms for robber and thief", question 6

Look! The attic window is broken, the ......... has probably come inside this way.

(a) criminal
(b) burglar
(c) thief
(d) bandit

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #73 "Synonyms for robber and thief", answer 6

Look! The attic window is broken, the burglar has probably come inside this way.

Correct answer: (b) burglar

why it is not thief ? what is the difference in meaning between burglar and thief?

Elop
Elop

Difference between burglar and thief #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:45 am   Difference between burglar and thief

A burgler acquires forced access to private property; a thief steals something from it.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Burglar vs thief #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:10 am   Burglar vs thief

Dear Learner,
A burglar is a person who breaks into a house (breaks the door or the window), or shop, or other building to steal something.
A thief is someone who takes property belonging to someone else without his knowledge.
The difference is that burglars usually break into the building to steal something.
Daniela
Language Coach
Daniela Encheva

What does this idiom mean: "I'll eat my hat"? | Using Present Progressive Tense
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
How and when do we use "like"?Why its not a pencil?Accomplishments vs. deedsMeaning of belittleConcord vs. concourseMeaning of "It was the least I could do"Why word implied doesn't fit in here?Meaning: we gave him an over the hill partyI do not understand what I could doEncasements vs. incasementShe's vs. she'llExpression "Make a mountain out of a molehill"Whats the meaning of quiet?