Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

exchanging of goods and services; trade
launch
barter
bank
harness
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Isn't a rip-off something too expensive for its real value?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
A fool at 40 is a fool forever? | what does "lost" mean?
listening exercisestell a friend
Isn't a rip-off something too expensive for its real value? #1 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 18:55 pm   Isn't a rip-off something too expensive for its real value?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #298 "English Slang Idioms (20)", question 2

He decided to buy the guitar even though he was kind of broke. At the price it was listed for, it was a ..........

(a) pile
(b) rip-off
(c) steal
(d) beauty

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #298 "English Slang Idioms (20)", answer 2

He decided to buy the guitar even though he was kind of broke. At the price it was listed for, it was a steal.

Correct answer: (c) steal

Your answer was: incorrect
He decided to buy the guitar even though he was kind of broke. At the price it was listed for, it was a rip-off.

Isn't a "rip-off" something too expensive for its real value?
Dinanrodrig
You can meet me at english-test.net

Isn't a rip-off something too expensive for its real value? #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 22:29 pm   Isn't a rip-off something too expensive for its real value?

A rip-off is a bad deal.
The item may be too expensive or even broken. This deal puts the buyer at a disadvantage.

Here a steal means something inexpensive, ergo it's opposite to a rip-off. In other words, you would bite the seller's hand off. =)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Isn't a rip-off something too expensive for its real value? #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 22:44 pm   Isn't a rip-off something too expensive for its real value?

Oh, I see. I got it the other way around. I missed the meaning of the sentence.
Dinanrodrig
You can meet me at english-test.net

A fool at 40 is a fool forever? | what does "lost" mean?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What is the meaning of 'chomping at the bit'?Crack my eyes openPrepositionsTest incompl/advan-864, Question 3shall be submitted vs. shall be submittingHow does one o'clock sound?Please tell me what as happy as the day is long means?Test incompl/inter-80, User's Answer 9Test incompl/inter-315, User's Answer 4Test incompl/inter-314, User's Answer 5pronounced vs pronouncingto or through?How to use the preposition "for"?