to name; to call; to designate
arrest
rate
banquet
term

Crack my eyes open

Difference between matter and care | Prepositions
Crack my eyes open #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 07, 2010 16:01 pm   Crack my eyes open

Hi.
Is it correct, in American English, to say "I cracked my eyes open?"
What about "I winced back?"- as in astonishment.
Thanks for your time.
DisneyLand

Crack my eyes open #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 07, 2010 18:15 pm   Crack my eyes open

Although I know more about British English than American English, I don't think that's right.
"I opened my eyes just a crack." is okay (meaning you didn't open your eyes wide).
If the intention is to indicate that you opened your eyes suddenly, then you might say. "My eyes shot open."
"I squinted at him" - would indicate that you had your eyelids partially closed while you were looking at 'him'.
I think a "blink" (both eyes) would be more an indication of astonishment than a 'wink' (one eye only).
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
He made a clean break?What does my hands are clean mean?Test incompl/elem-223, User's Answer 4run down vs. run-downWhat is the meaning of 'chomping at the bit'?Test incompl/advan-864, Question 3shall be submitted vs. shall be submittingHow does one o'clock sound?Isn't a rip-off something too expensive for its real value?A fool at 40 is a fool forever?the sun rise. vs the sun rose."...disappointed, ..." isn't it?broke vs break