rapid multiplication; rapid reproduction; prosperity
electrician
proliferation
intent
scope

You couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them?

Phrase: Well, to be honest I've had a few problems recently | Why use "distinction" in this sentence?
You couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 09, 2010 0:05 am   You couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them?

The two girls were so close you couldn't get a cigarette ......... in between them.

(a) paper
(b) butt
(c) label
(d) pack

The two girls were so close you couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them.

Correct answer: (a) paper

The two girls were so close you couldn't get a cigarette butt in between them.
_________________________

Does it mean that the two girls are (almost) neck and neck ?
Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

You couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them? #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 09, 2010 0:25 am   You couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them?

If it is a race, it does.

It can also mean that they are side by side, back to back, or facing each other with their noses just about touching!

Whichever way they are facing, they are very close together.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
cigarette paper is very thin #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 16:08 pm   cigarette paper is very thin

It is worth reading this explication also.

If you cannot get or put a cigarette paper between people, they are so closely bonded that nothing will separate them or their positions on issues./UsingEnglish/

_________________

You couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them? #4 (permalink) Sat Nov 12, 2011 13:37 pm   You couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them?

Does this Idom describe two girls who are physically close together ? Or are they close in personality which means they get along well with each other? Thanks
Phuong-chi
Kietsjsu

You couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them? #5 (permalink) Sat Nov 12, 2011 13:55 pm   You couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them?

The idiom does not necessarily refer to two girls (or even to people).
It could equally be used to describe a choice between anything else.
It does not refer to physical proximity, but to the choice between them for a certain purpose.
_________________

You couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them? #6 (permalink) Sat Nov 12, 2011 18:09 pm   You couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them?

Cigarette paper is a very thin of paper in which people roll tobacco to make their own cigarette.
Because of its thinness is written in this test.

UsingEnglish: If you cannot get or put a cigarette paper between people, they are so closely bonded that nothing will separate them or their positions on issues.

Kati svaby
_________________

This country has now adaptedWhat does 'shrub' mean?pay a tollreluctancedifference between "pool" and "collect"it is important to considerNeverto work twelve-hour shiftsHow is hard-pressed different from hard-core?What does 'cold hard cash' mean?Based on income?What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"?Meaning of hard-bitten