to drill; to practice an action repeatedly in order to perfect it
rehearse
collect
invite
debate

difference between although and however

still vs currently | thank you a lot
difference between although and however #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 11, 2010 17:04 pm   difference between although and however

can you show me what is the difference between althogh and however? both are used to show contrast but still there is difference in usage between them.
Assaidkhale

difference between although and however #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 am   difference between although and however

Although and however serve two distinct purposes.

Although binds two contradictory ideas together into one idea with the main idea ruling over the subordinate idea. Hence the order of the ideas is insiginifcant because whatever follows the conjunction although becomes marginalized. (in the complex sentence structure)

"I had to leave the country although the several binding contracts that could keel up my business made me reconsider" (the writer left)

means exactly the same as

"Although the several binding contracts that could keel up my business made me reconsider, I had to leave the country " (the writer left)

With the logically loose conjunctive adverb however, however, the order of presenting the writer's ideas is significant, as whatever comes next is the way things turn out. The conflicting ideas are not brought together in one thought system, but are left scattered in time, space, and reason. (in the compound sentence structure)

"I had to leave the country; however the several binding contracts that could keel up my business made me reconsider" (the writer stayed)

means exactly the opposite from

"The several binding contracts that could keel up my business made me reconsider; however I had to leave the country." (the writer left)
Ryan101

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
difference between although and however #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 13, 2010 19:19 pm   difference between although and however

Nice explanation, Ryan. :-)
Mordant

Location: United States

difference between although and however #4 (permalink) Mon Sep 13, 2010 19:49 pm   difference between although and however

Hi Assaidkhale,

'Although' used as a conjunction in the sense of two contrasting points in two separate sentences, shows concession as in:

1) It was raining.

2) We continued climbing the mountain.

When we put the two together, we show a contrast by indicating that in spite of the rain we continued our climb and we say:

Although it was raining, we continued climbing the mountain or We continued climbing the mountain although it was raining

'However' as an adverb suggests 'but' 'nevertheless' as in: We knew it was raining. We continued however climbing the mountain.

'However' as a conjunction suggests 'in whatever way' 'regardless of how' as in: We continued climbing the mountain however hard it rained.

_________________

difference between although and however #5 (permalink) Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:46 am   difference between although and however

Mordant wrote:
Nice explanation, Ryan. :-)

to be honest with you I have copied the answer from yahoo answers .

link: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090422070608AAOQA6r

thank you anyway for your replay .
Ryan101

still vs currently | thank you a lot
blue funk..Ganeshgreen-eyed monster : Ganesh"since Friday"turn vs turningSentence: All the symptoms which point to the...please help me correct this sentence.what is the difference between "happen" and "happens"help me! plzMove incheck in with someoneWhich one is correct?'to take care of smb.' vs. 'to care for smb.'Qatar is the Arab world’s most competitive economy