Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to drill; to practice an action repeatedly in order to perfect it
rehearse
collect
invite
debate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

difference between although and however

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
still vs currently | thank you a lot
listening exercisestell a friend
difference between although and however #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 11, 2010 17:04 pm   difference between although and however

can you show me what is the difference between althogh and however? both are used to show contrast but still there is difference in usage between them.
Assaidkhale

difference between although and however #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 am   difference between although and however

Although and however serve two distinct purposes.

Although binds two contradictory ideas together into one idea with the main idea ruling over the subordinate idea. Hence the order of the ideas is insiginifcant because whatever follows the conjunction although becomes marginalized. (in the complex sentence structure)

"I had to leave the country although the several binding contracts that could keel up my business made me reconsider" (the writer left)

means exactly the same as

"Although the several binding contracts that could keel up my business made me reconsider, I had to leave the country " (the writer left)

With the logically loose conjunctive adverb however, however, the order of presenting the writer's ideas is significant, as whatever comes next is the way things turn out. The conflicting ideas are not brought together in one thought system, but are left scattered in time, space, and reason. (in the compound sentence structure)

"I had to leave the country; however the several binding contracts that could keel up my business made me reconsider" (the writer stayed)

means exactly the opposite from

"The several binding contracts that could keel up my business made me reconsider; however I had to leave the country." (the writer left)
Ryan101
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
difference between although and however #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 13, 2010 19:19 pm   difference between although and however

Nice explanation, Ryan. :-)
Mordant
Language Coach

difference between although and however #4 (permalink) Mon Sep 13, 2010 19:49 pm   difference between although and however

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

113 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Assaidkhale,

'Although' used as a conjunction in the sense of two contrasting points in two separate sentences, shows concession as in:

1) It was raining.

2) We continued climbing the mountain.

When we put the two together, we show a contrast by indicating that in spite of the rain we continued our climb and we say:

Although it was raining, we continued climbing the mountain or We continued climbing the mountain although it was raining

'However' as an adverb suggests 'but' 'nevertheless' as in: We knew it was raining. We continued however climbing the mountain.

'However' as a conjunction suggests 'in whatever way' 'regardless of how' as in: We continued climbing the mountain however hard it rained.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

difference between although and however #5 (permalink) Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:46 am   difference between although and however

Mordant wrote:
Nice explanation, Ryan. :-)

to be honest with you I have copied the answer from yahoo answers .

link: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090422070608AAOQA6r

thank you anyway for your replay .
Ryan101
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

still vs currently | thank you a lot
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
blue funk..Ganeshgreen-eyed monster : Ganesh"since Friday"turn vs turningSentence: All the symptoms which point to the...please help me correct this sentence.what is the difference between "happen" and "happens"help me! plzMove incheck in with someoneWhich one is correct?'to take care of smb.' vs. 'to care for smb.'Qatar is the Arab world’s most competitive economy