Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to be unsuccessful; to not do; to disappoint; to go bankrupt; to be used up
vacation
crop
achieve
fail
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Using the words "before" and "ago"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Is "immaculate" an error? | Punctuation question
listening exercisestell a friend
Using the words "before" and "ago" #1 (permalink) Tue Jan 31, 2006 18:44 pm   Using the words "before" and "ago"

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #112 "Synonyms for error and fault", question 2

Elizabeth realized that it had been a ......... to take her daughter to the house where her father was killed some years before.

(a) mistake
(b) slip
(c) fault
(d) misunderstanding

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #112 "Synonyms for error and fault", answer 2

Elizabeth realized that it had been a mistake to take her daughter to the house where her father was killed some years before.

Correct answer: (a) mistake

Your answer was: correct

When do we use 'before' and when 'ago' in such sentences?

Ryou
Ryou

Before/ago #2 (permalink) Tue Jan 31, 2006 19:11 pm   Before/ago

Hi Ryou,

Both refer to a time in the past.

Some time ago means some time back from now.

Some time before before means some time back from then.

Someone is writing a letter home when they are on holiday:

There has been a lot of rain during the week. It started raining again two hours ago but the people who have been on holiday here for two weeks told us that it had rained before

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Using the words "before" and "ago" #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:05 am   Using the words "before" and "ago"

Quote:
Elizabeth realized that it had been a ......... to take her daughter to the house where her father was killed some years before

Hi

Since we are using before in the sentence, how about had been killed?...where her father had been killed some years before. Am I in order?? :roll:

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Using the words "before" and "ago" #4 (permalink) Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:26 am   Using the words "before" and "ago"

Hi Tom,

'Was killed' in the sentence simply refers to his death - where he was killed - rather than the action of his being killed. In that case I think 'had been killed' would be over the top - almost overkill!

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Is "immaculate" an error? | Punctuation question
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Heap of stones vs. heap of flowersExpression: get hitchedHe's just not the same person any more...Expression: 'a peak'Questions about infinitivesOn time vs. in timeStare vs. watchComma questionSpecial cardstock vs. specialty cardstockExpression: to be out of somethingIdiom: take eggs for moneyWhat is "stores mark down their prices"?Angry with him VERSUS annoyed with him