to fasten; to link to; to add; to ascribe to; to connect to
include
haze
revolve
attach

straddle / as she straddled Sam once more

Fell on the ground vs fell to the ground | Usage of way
straddle / as she straddled Sam once more #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:02 am   straddle / as she straddled Sam once more

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Here is a sentence from a good dictionary:

Eleven Senators answered yes, four no, and four straddled.

straddle = shaken in one’s option/ hesitate, weaken

Here is another sentence from a random novel:

Kelly grabs the champagne, takes a long gulp and pours some on her breasts as she straddles Sam once more, inviting him to lick them clean.

Would you tell me whether I may believe that I am not wrong if I adopt a loose interpretation of the phrase in question in the present case, namely “as she enticed inveigled Sam once more”?

Thank you for your efforts.
Ivo

straddle / as she straddled Sam once more #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:12 am   straddle / as she straddled Sam once more

Neither of your interpretations are really correct.

With regard to the sentence about Senators:
Straddle - Take up or maintain an equivocal (ambiguous, uncertain in its terms) position with regard to (a political issue)
He was a man who had straddled the issue of taxes for so long, that no one was sure how he felt about them.
The four Senators were non-committal, but not necessarily hesitant or shaken in their opinion.

In the novel,
Straddle - Sit, stand or, in this case, kneel with one leg on either side of...
He turned the chair around and straddled it as if he were riding a horse.
Sam was lying down. Kelly knelt over him with her legs either side of his body, so that she was semi-sitting/lying on top of him.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
straddle / as she straddled Sam once more #3 (permalink) Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:22 am   straddle / as she straddled Sam once more

Thank you for your extensive explanation. It did me a lot of good.
Ivo

groaning boardunder the spotlightwill and going toDo teachers (native English speakers) refer to their students as 'class'?a simple question meaning of "thats all there is to it"Usage of bang/slamIf and unlessquestionquestionUse of 'for'love or a love?"mondays" or "monday'stelling