Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to signify; to be significant; to intend; to indicate
notice
mean
fold
sink
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does apple cart mean?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I want to go shopping? | That's the whole shebang?
listening exercisestell a friend
What does apple cart mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 28, 2010 16:56 pm   What does apple cart mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #424 "English Slang Idioms (163)", question 1

"Did you hear that the warehouse workers are trying to form a union at this company? That is sure to upset the ......... around here," Lisa told Linus.

(a) beanpole
(b) grocery
(c) water flow
(d) apple cart

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #424 "English Slang Idioms (163)", answer 1

"Did you hear that the warehouse workers are trying to form a union at this company? That is sure to upset the apple cart around here," Lisa told Linus.

Correct answer: (d) apple cart

Your answer was: incorrect
"Did you hear that the warehouse workers are trying to form a union at this company? That is sure to upset the water flow around here," Lisa told Linus.

Hello,

Could you explain to me the meaning of apple cart?
Maddy
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does apple cart mean? #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 28, 2010 17:24 pm   What does apple cart mean?

An apple cart is a cart loaded with apples.
The idiom though is "to upset the apple cart". Its meaning is explained here
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What does apple cart mean? #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 29, 2010 14:41 pm   What does apple cart mean?

Thank you.
Maddy
I'm here quite often ;-)

I want to go shopping? | That's the whole shebang?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Does to move from pillar to post mean always on the same?What does for the time being mean?Computers are for the birds?For Pete's sake?What is the difference between display and exhibition?Get out of my house and never darken my door again?If only I were a fly on the wall...I don't think it's going to fly...What are high-bandwidth connections?Test incompl/inter-285, Question 7Test incompl/inter-285, Question 3What is the origin of the phrase 'pardon my French'?What does Chinook mean?