Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

mode; fashion; style; behavior; way; type
implementation
agent
manner
minority
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

RECONCILED vs. MATCHED

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of detract | Threat vs. peril and danger
listening exercisestell a friend
RECONCILED vs. MATCHED #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 10, 2006 21:23 pm   RECONCILED vs. MATCHED

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #105 "Synonyms for adapt", question 9

I admit it's been a hard thing to do, but I finally ......... my way of thinking with yours.

(a) reconciled
(b) acclimatized
(c) suited
(d) matched

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #105 "Synonyms for adapt", answer 9

I admit it's been a hard thing to do, but I finally reconciled my way of thinking with yours.

Correct answer: (a) reconciled

Your answer was: incorrect
I admit it's been a hard thing to do, but I finally matched my way of thinking with yours.

HI! i would like to ask why in this sentence i must use RECONCILED and why not MATCHED...

thank you on regards

Anah?
Anah?

Match vs. reconcile #2 (permalink) Sat Feb 11, 2006 14:31 pm   Match vs. reconcile

I admit it's been a hard thing to do, but I finally reconciled my way of thinking with yours.

Dear Anahi,
Match means to be exactly like, to correspond, to be alike. For example, if a bag matches a coat it means that they go together very well in terms of colour, design, etc. Two people can be a very good match, meaning that they are a good couple. No compromise is implied in the use of this verb.
Reconcile means to make compatible or consistent, to put up with. In this sentence the idea is that a person tried hard to change his/her way of thinking so that it became the same as the other person's way of thinking. In a way this person had to make a compromise, to put up with the situation, so reconcile is the word that fits here.
Hope this helps!
Daniela
Language Coach
Daniela Encheva

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Reconcile #3 (permalink) Sat Feb 11, 2006 15:17 pm   Reconcile

Hi Anah?,

You might also like to know that often reconcile has the idea of bringing two people back together after a disagreement. A couple who have had an argument and have separated as a result are said to be reconciled when they decide to forget the past and start again. The process is known as reconciliation.Just some thoughts

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of detract | Threat vs. peril and danger
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of offendChant vs. singMeaning of notionDifference between expense and expenditureIdiom: devil take the hindmostExpression: "behind your back"Expression "wonderfully dry sense of humour"Difference between DRY UP and DRY OUTI don't know what to fill inMeaning of appointWhy "the others" and not "others"Why here you say close and not shut"before" is for time only