Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

opposition; appeal; denial; protest
proliferation
source
objection
satisfaction
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

singular or plural verb with 'more than one'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
live- a state or an action verb? | Did the driver speed up when he shout to him?
listening exercisestell a friend
singular or plural verb with 'more than one' #1 (permalink) Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:13 am   singular or plural verb with 'more than one'

Should we use a singular or plural verb with 'more than one'?

E.g.
There is/are more than one way...
More than one person has/have...
Lycen
You can meet me at english-test.net

singular or plural verb with 'more than one' #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:45 am   singular or plural verb with 'more than one'

There is more than one way...
More than one person has...

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
singular or plural verb with 'more than one' #3 (permalink) Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:43 am   singular or plural verb with 'more than one'

That's counter-intuitive as 'more than one' is plural. Is any grammar website to properly explain this? Thanks.
Lycen

singular or plural verb with 'more than one' #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:53 am   singular or plural verb with 'more than one'

According to the American Heritage Dictionary of English Usage:

When a noun phrase contains more than one and a singular noun, the verb is normally singular: There is more than one way to skin a cat. More than one editor is working on that project. More than one field has been planted with oats. When more than one is followed by of and a plural noun, the verb is plural: More than one of the paintings were stolen. More than one of the cottages are for sale. When more than one stands alone, it usually takes a singular verb, but it may take a plural verb if the notion of multiplicity predominates: The operating rooms are all in good order. More than one is (or are) equipped with the latest imaging technology.

[Note also: Fewer than two cookies remain in the jar. Counterintuitive?]

singular or plural verb with 'more than one' #5 (permalink) Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:01 am   singular or plural verb with 'more than one'

What about this?

One of your friends is welcome. (Grammatical rule: "singular verbs to non-plural nouns and plural verbs to plural nouns")

But,

Either of your friends are welcome. (Proximity rule? i.e."choose a verbal form to agree to the form of the nearest noun in the subject noun phrase")
Lycen

singular or plural verb with 'more than one' #6 (permalink) Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:04 am   singular or plural verb with 'more than one'

We're not talking about those formations here, though. Or are you changing the subject?

singular or plural verb with 'more than one' #7 (permalink) Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:08 am   singular or plural verb with 'more than one'

It seems that 'more than one... is' follows the proximity rule like the 'either of your friends are' example; 'either' means singular.
Lycen

singular or plural verb with 'more than one' #8 (permalink) Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:40 am   singular or plural verb with 'more than one'

Mister Micawber wrote:
According to the American Heritage Dictionary of English Usage:

When a noun phrase contains more than one and a singular noun, the verb is normally singular: There is more than one way to skin a cat. More than one editor is working on that project. More than one field has been planted with oats.

Hi,
I'd like to know whether this rule is also acceptable in UK and other English-speaking countries?

Thank you.

Justin
Justin_Huang
I'm here quite often ;-)

singular or plural verb with 'more than one' #9 (permalink) Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 am   singular or plural verb with 'more than one'

yes
Language Coach

live- a state or an action verb? | Did the driver speed up when he shout to him?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
He said, 'I loved her.' [reported speech]funny/funnilyQuestiontruly humblingAre her lips full?What does a word 'Synecdoche' means?Why not + ?What to doTurkish denies Croatia Airlines interestDo the questions mean the same?her plan so thatAgedappropriateness of the question mark