similar; parallel; comparable
heinous
temporal
analogous
sanguine

advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not need

movies made in other countries are more interesting | CHECK MY ESSAY: People attend university for many reason
advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not need #1 (permalink) Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:20 am   advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not need

Topic 145: Some people say that advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not need. Others say that advertisements tell us about new products that may improve our lives. Which viewpoint do you agree with? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
Essay:

Each year, all companies in the world spend billion dollars on advertising. Consequently, advertising has become a great business which brings vast of profits for advertising companies. Although some people are still having a lot of discussion about how advertising effect to behavior of clients, I completely agree with the notion that we often buy a lot of things that we do not have real demands because of advertising.

To begin with, when we see some advertisements in the newspapers or on the television, the interesting of these advertisements will stimulate us to buy new things without consideration about our demands. Advertising companies always try to use all the materials that they can afford, such as music, light , picture or idols to create interesting advertisements, and they has been so successful because they made us believe that we really need goods that was advertised. For example, my young sister has own a modern mobile phone, but she decided to buy a new one when she saw her idol used it on an advertisement. The reason she give is she thinks she will be more similar to her Idol if she use this cell phone.

In addition, we often desire new things when we watch advertisement on the television. While we are watching many advertising clips on the televisions, we will see people on this clips use new goods with a lot of advantages. In the first time we see them, we may ignore these advertisements. However, if we see them day by day, we may think that why other people have such new things but we do not have, and we will decide that we have to buy new goods. For instance, a child will ask his parents to buy new toys for him after see other play with these toys in a advertisement, and his parents probably buy for him because they do not want their child take less advantages than others.

In brief, advertising is good for us in some cases, such as providing information about products. However, for the reasons that I mentioned above, I believe that we often waste our money to buy new things which we has no need because of attraction and stimulation of advertising.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor mention the large jars?
Tung Lam

advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not need #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:14 pm   advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not need

Essay:

Each year, all companies in the world spend billionS OF dollars on advertising. Consequently, advertising has become a great business which brings vast of profits for advertising companies. Although some people are still having a lot of discussion about how advertising effects THE behavior of clients, I completely agree with the notion that we often buy a lot of things FOR WHICH we do not have real demands because of advertising.

To begin with, when we see some advertisements in the newspapers or on the television, the interesting PART of these advertisements will stimulate us to buy new things without consideration about our demands. Advertising companies always try to use all the materials that they can afford, such as music, light , pictureS or idols to create interesting advertisements, and they haVE been so successful because they made us believe that we really need goods that WERE BEING advertised. For example, my young sister ALREADY has own a modern mobile phone, but she decided to buy a new one when she saw her idol used ANOTHER MODEL on an advertisement. The reason she give is she thinks she will be more similar to her idol if she uses this cell phone.

In addition, we often desire new things when we watch advertisement on the television. While we are watching many advertising clips on the televisions, we will see people on THESE clips usING new goods with a lot of advantages.The first time we see them, we may ignore these advertisements. However, if we see them day by day, we may think that QUESTION why other people have such new things THAT we do not have, and we will decide that we have to buy new goods. For instance, a child will ask his parents to buy new toys for him after seeING otherS play with these toys in aN advertisement, and his parents probably buy THEM for him because they do not want their child TO HAVE less advantages than others.

In brief, advertising is good for us in some cases, such as providing information about products. However, for the reasons that I mentioned above, I believe that we often waste our money to buy new things which we HAVE no need OF SIMPLY because of THE attraction and stimulation of advertising.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Well written Lam. Keep it up!

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemThis newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What are the good things and bad things about the place you live in?Is attending a live performance more enjoyable than watching the same event on th agree or disagree: Sports teach us lessons about life.A job with more vacation time but a low salary is better than a job with a high sAgree/Disagree: The governmnet should pay for public transportationCompetitive educational system or cooperative one?GMAT® Essay. Please help me, Prof.Kitos! Thanks in advance!The government should pay for public transportation system, agree or not?childhood is the happiest time of a person's lifeAutomobile has improved modern life or has caused serious problemsThe way a person dresses can reflect this person’s personality.A historical event that you are interested in most. Thanks~Some people prefer to live in places that have the same weather or climate all ye