temporary; for the time being; contingent; interim
provisional
quixotic
erudite
ingenious

Agree/Disagree: The governmnet should pay for public transportation

A job with more vacation time but a low salary is better than a job with a high s |  agree or disagree: Sports teach us lessons about life.
Agree/Disagree: The governmnet should pay for public transportation #1 (permalink) Sat Oct 09, 2010 13:20 pm   Agree/Disagree: The governmnet should pay for public transportation

Hello Kitosdad. Thanks for reading my essay.

The government should pay for public transportation system, agree or not?

I totally disagree with the fact that the government should make public transportation free. In my opinion, there will not be a great deal of changes in people’s lives. My reasons and examples listed below will strengthen my point of view.

On the one hand, there is a misconception that if public transportation becomes free of cost, people will forget to drive their own cars, and consequently, there will be less traffic on the streets. On the contrary, I personally believe that public transportation, such as buses or trains do not have the capacity to hold so many people. For example, if we consider a situation in which all people start using public transportation, such as buses or trains, everyone should have a place to sit. In some countries, low-class people are not supposed to buy the train tickets. They can easily board the second class trains. As a result, the number of people accommodating those compartments will be increased, people will be packed, and there can be accidental hit on their faces or other parts of their bodies. Therefore, not only should the government pay for the public transportation, but also increase the number of buses and trains, which in turn, causes more traffic on the streets.

On the other hand, those people who have their own cars, mostly belong to the middle-class or high-class. They like to drive their own cars because they find it more comfortable. It is quite confusing to think that these people cannot afford the public transportation fares. If at all they cannot pay for the fares, how can it be possible for them to pay for their fuels or their car insurance? These people definitely know that driving their own cars have many disadvantages. For example, they are aware of having an accident while driving their cars.

To put all in a nutshell, in my opinion, even if the transportation becomes free, those people who want to drive their own cars, will continue their same old routines; Therefore, I see no necessity for the government to pay for public transportation.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture on American social history
Leenda

Agree/Disagree: The governmnet should pay for public transportation #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 09, 2010 17:45 pm   Agree/Disagree: The governmnet should pay for public transportation

On the one hand, there is a misconception that if public transportation becomes free of cost, people will forget to drive their own cars, and consequently, there will be less traffic on the streets. On the contrary, I personally believe that public transportation, such as buses or trains do not have the capacity to hold so many people. For example, if we consider a situation in which all people start using public transportation, such as buses or trains, everyone should have a place to sit. In some countries, low-class people are not supposed to buy the train tickets. They can easily board the second class trains. As a result, the number of people accommodating those compartments will be increased, people will be packed, and there can be accidental hits on their faces or other parts of their bodies. Therefore, not only WOULD the government HAVE TO pay for the public transportation, but THEY WOULD also HAVE TO increase the number of buses and trains, which in turn causes more traffic on the streets.

On the other hand, those people who have their own cars, mostly belong to the middle-class or upper-class. They like to drive their own cars because they find it more comfortable. It is quite RIDICULOUS to think that these people cannot afford the public transportation fares. If they cannot pay for the fares, how can it be possible for them to pay for their fuel or their car insurance? These people definitely know that driving their own cars have many disadvantages, BUT THEY CONTINUE TO DO SO. For example, they are aware of having an accident while driving their cars.

...............................................................................................................................
I didn't feel comfortable with this one Leenda, although, as usual, it was very well written. It was a little confusing.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemSign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Agree/Disagree: The governmnet should pay for public transportation #3 (permalink) Sat Oct 09, 2010 17:54 pm   Agree/Disagree: The governmnet should pay for public transportation

You mean I could not convey my message in a good way?
I was not satisfied with it, but I could not find better reasons or examples..they just came to my mind and I wrote them...
Thanks for reviewing it...and I hope that you did not get bored with it.
Leenda

People benefit more from traveling in their own country than traveling in a foreiTopic78 : it is more important to be able to work with a group of people on a teaCollege or university education should be available to all studentsStudents who can keep their own rooms organized are more likely to succeed.What are the main reasons of International travel make people have prejudices?What are the good things and bad things about the place you live in?Is attending a live performance more enjoyable than watching the same event on thCompetitive educational system or cooperative one?GMAT® Essay. Please help me, Prof.Kitos! Thanks in advance!question about the speaking part IThe government should pay for public transportation system, agree or not?CHECK MY ESSAY: People attend university for many reasonadvertising encourages us to buy things we really do not need