Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

plan; sketch; model; layout; structure
rescue
design
fluctuation
fame
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

appropriate/noble/becoming

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
explian a sentence | a question about a part of a reading section
listening exercisestell a friend
appropriate/noble/becoming #1 (permalink) Tue Oct 12, 2010 13:54 pm   appropriate/noble/becoming

Hi,

I have just taken one of your tests and I don't quite see how the word 'noble' fits the definition here.
In other words, which meaning of 'noble' fits together with 'appropriate' and 'becoming'?

adj. appropriate; noble

(a) becoming (b) delicious (c) paramount (d) constant

http://www.english-test.net/toeic/vocabulary/words/016/toeic-test.php

Thank you

appropriate/noble/becoming #2 (permalink) Tue Oct 12, 2010 15:06 pm   appropriate/noble/becoming

I have to say I agree with you Christina -
I didn't really like any of the answers and guessed paramount as being 'noble' (above others in rank or authority; superior in power or jurisdiction.)

I would usually think of 'becoming' more in its 'pleasing' sense - that hairdo is very becoming / fetching / attractive
Thredder
I'm here quite often ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
appropriate/noble/becoming #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 12, 2010 15:20 pm   appropriate/noble/becoming

I suppose the definition is decorous and dignified - but I also think it rather a stretch to marry that with appropriate or noble.
Language Coach

explian a sentence | a question about a part of a reading section
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Reported Speech-BackshiftVery easy and most exiting...Question about colloquial expressionTest incompl/elem-174, Question 3Test incompl/advan-131, Answer 5estimate vs. estimatedcataclismic vs. cataclysmicWhat are fog machines?reacting to the candidate's responses with silenceTest incompl/advan-145, Question 4Would have brought/ Had broughtTest incompl/inter-154, Question 7English Grammar Exercises::Advanced Tests::Naples, Italy