Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

result; outcome; impact; trick; natural phenomenon
mend
nominee
effect
point
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
I could care less... | Rewriting these sentences: I regret shouting at the children...
listening exercisestell a friend
What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 19, 2004 13:28 pm   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

who can help me to explain? what's mean "point taken"?
Timothy Tu
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Point taken #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 19, 2004 14:17 pm   Point taken

Hi,

This expression is used when you say to someone that you have accepted what they say. You understand their meaning and will remember it.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #3 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 15:35 pm   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

Usually when you don't agree with something but you still accept the other view.
Hjt84

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #4 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 16:11 pm   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

It sounds very useful. Could someone make a sentence from point taken.

A:Do you understand what I just said?

B: ??
Eric0936
You can meet me at english-test.net

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #5 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 17:45 pm   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

Hjt84 wrote:
Usually when you don't agree with something but you still accept the other view.
I didn't know that this expression suggests a disagreement. Good to know.
Cooliegirly
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #6 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 18:10 pm   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

Cooliegirly wrote:
Hjt84 wrote:
I didn't know that this expression suggests a disagreement. Good to know.

It doesn't necessarily suggest disagreement. In fact, it could even mean you've been persuaded it to see it as the other party. If you change my mind or I don't understand you, I may say "point taken" when I either start to agree with you or see where you're coming from.
Mordant
Language Coach

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #7 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 18:35 pm   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

Hi,

'Point taken' simply means: I have taken/accepted your point (the point you are making).

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #8 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 22:27 pm   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

I'd think Alan's comment is final: 'Point taken' simply means: I have taken/accepted your point. No more nor less inbuilt suggestions are involved.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #9 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 1:14 am   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

That's why i said 'usually'! Opens up for other situations!

I'm not talking about a heated arguement, but in my opinion i use 'point' taken the most when there are two opposing views eg...

"It's really annoying when people talk over you"

"Ok point taken, i'll stop"
Hjt84

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #10 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 11:42 am   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

Hj, is there any particular reason why you don't capitalize the word 'I'? Also, why is that you don't put a full stop at the end of each sentence?

TOEIC listening, talks: Describing the advantages of investing in the stock market
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #11 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 18:01 pm   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

Because this is an internet forum, and despite being about English, it still falls under the same forces of habit for when typing on any other forum - you go for speed over accuracy.

Learning English from an internet forum is sketchy at best, and i don't proclaim that i use correct grammar, but this is not an English exam. It's an exchange of views on t'interweb.

L8ERS.
Hjt84

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #12 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 22:24 pm   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

No, I am afraid not, Hjt. What Torsten and others tried to say to you is that this is a forum about English grammar and a lot of ESL learners including me come here everyday to learn. That's why "i don't proclaim that i use correct grammar' is not correct grammar and should be "I don't proclaim that I use correct grammar' in order to avoid the highly advanced confusing means.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #13 (permalink) Fri May 14, 2010 0:10 am   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

Hjt84 wrote:
Because this is an internet forum, and despite being about English, it still falls under the same forces of habit for when typing on any other forum - you go for speed over accuracy.

Learning English from an internet forum is sketchy at best, and i don't proclaim that i use correct grammar, but this is not an English exam. It's an exchange of views on t'interweb.

L8ERS.

Can't you see how confusing that is for people who are trying to learn English here? It's more considerate to be correct so that you don't mislead ESL learners.
Mordant
Language Coach

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #14 (permalink) Fri May 14, 2010 7:21 am   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

Mordant puts it well. I find it sad that you are too lazy to show consideration for others by using correct grammar if you know how to do so. Besides which... don't you find it tedious being corrected constantly?
Language Coach

What does this phrase mean: "point taken"? #15 (permalink) Fri May 14, 2010 7:45 am   What does this phrase mean: "point taken"?

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

64 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Hjt84,

You mention that learning English on the Internet is
Quote:
sketchy at best
. Clearly it isn't what anyone would claim as wholly didactic because of the nature of the device. At the same time it has been our belief right from the start that we would avoid turning into a chat room where scant attention is paid to grammatical correctness and the emphasis is, as you would expect, on chat. We are not setting ourselves up as superior to chat rooms but simply indicating that we are following a different route. It has been our experience over the last 7 years that our users are happy to have their English corrected.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

I could care less... | Rewriting these sentences: I regret shouting at the children...
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
He got a bad accidentHe returned home as quick as he couldCan you explain for me the Mother's Day ProclamationDon't beat your lover deadNeither ... norchronological rank of someone"Who done that?"Redundancy?The person who most influenced methe useage of the word "until"Idiom usageThe parcel was returned back to the senderwhat does "institutional forms" mean