automobile; elevator; vehicle; ride
car
expenditure
back
pipe

Why do you like English?

Culture Shock or Science Fiction? | 9 Things I Hate About Everyone
Why do you like English? #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 18, 2006 22:38 pm   Why do you like English?

Ive often wondered what makes English so attractive to such a large number of people. Only very rarely do I hear someone say that they dont like this language. Are you born with a love for languages, can you fall in love with them, is it a gradual process or is it only a matter of acquired taste?

As far as Im concerned, Im pretty sure it was a kind of love at first sight thing. And I owe it all to the American film industry, and to the old musicals in particular! Growing up in a Spanish family in a French-speaking environment, I hardly ever heard a word of English (at least during my early childhood). But I would listen with fascination to anyone speaking French with an English accent, which I liked imitating too.

The songs of musicals shown on TV really opened the first door to this language for me (most films were translated into French, only the songs were not, luckily). The urge to hear myself utter these wonderful new sounds was so strong that I would perform my own very particular version of the pieces while doing chores, like washing up or dusting weve always liked singing around the house. Later, when I eventually started learning the language at fourteen (needless to say, it was my best school subject), I was all the happier about it. I think it was about the only homework I actually enjoyed doing what I liked best was reading any text I could get hold of out loud. So it was all about phonetics, really.

Those were the passionate beginnings of my relationship with English. What about you? Id be very interested in hearing about your first approach to (learning) this or any other language, whether and why you like it, what motivated you to learn it etc. Dont be shy and share your experiences :) .

Why do you like English? #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 06, 2006 14:08 pm   Why do you like English?

Good afternoon ,
Mrs Conchita , to please you a little I want to share same of this what I heard about somebody else
(my own will disappointed you unfortunately cash,cash,cash, cash ...) kidding
The teacher from my school as far as I remember also writer said something like this about her beginning.
In her childhood were coming twice with visit the people who were living in her house before the war -Germans compulsory expel short after the war end.
Polite family who have built their dream home just be forced to leave it for somebody else.
They had a lot of expression most probably walking around and sighting their previous possession...
She was maybe 5 years old and it was for her surprise and
a shock to hear and to be unable to understand she said she was so much thinking about them about any option what they were talking about , that even many years after she still had regret not to be able to speak German that time.
She was later the excellent German teacher and writer.
strange don't you think ...?
Jan

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Why do you like English? #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 06, 2006 20:02 pm   Why do you like English?

Good evening, Jan,

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing it with us. It reminded me of a Polish family we knew in Lausanne when I was a tiny girl. I would never tire of listening to them. This language would be one of my choices if I took up a new one all these bizarre consonants in a row are enough of a challenge! A Polish friend of mine once suggested we do a language exchange, but we never really got started seriously. Maybe Ill have to give it some thought.

(Please call me Conchita.)

Why do you like English? #4 (permalink) Thu Apr 06, 2006 22:50 pm   Why do you like English?

Good evening, Seniorita Conchita

This language would be one of my choices if I took up a new one all these bizarre consonants in a row are enough of a challenge! A Polish friend of mine once suggested we do a language exchange, but we never really got started seriously. Maybe Ill have to give it some thought.

I wish you a lot of fun with Polish, I don't like grammar at all
Polish or English whatsever both grammar systems may not exist. Amen.
The best in languages for me are people who are using
them. The language fully mastered by somebody will have always some natural charm. This is like a window into their
souls, you can't see a lot , just a bit of human ,but you are in touch of something what is kept normally deep in secret.
The secrets are always interesting , aren't they.
regards
Jan - "the poor flamenco dancer"

Why do you like English, because is easier from Polish? #5 (permalink) Sat Apr 08, 2006 17:03 pm   Why do you like English, because is easier from Polish?

all these bizarre consonants in a row are enough of a challenge! A Polish friend of mine once suggested we do a language exchange, but we never really got started seriously. Maybe Ill have to give it some thought.
Lesson No1
the Chrząszcz (a beetle, chafer), a poem famous for being one of the hardest to pronounce texts in Polish literature, even for adult, native Polish speakers. Its first line W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie (In [the town of] Szczebrzeszyn a beetle buzzes in the reed) is the most popular Polish tongue-twister, in which almost all of the consonants make some kind of buzzing noises.

I never manage that but if you think it is a challange ?
Jan
Jan

Location: At sea

Why do you like English, because it is easier than Polish? #6 (permalink) Sat Apr 08, 2006 18:58 pm   Why do you like English, because it is easier than Polish?

Jan wrote:
Lesson No1

I never manage that but if you think it is a challenge ?
Jan

:lol:

Its more than a challenge: its a complete physical trial! It would help immensely to have the phonetic symbols of the words, but the dictionaries Ive found online so far dont give you any. These buzzing sounds are a kind of hallmark and the sound 'zh' [long z] is predominant in Polish, I find my friend is called Grazena (Im not sure if the z takes an accent mark). Anyway, thank you for the lesson.

The language fully mastered by somebody

In my particular situation, its more a case of English mastering me than the other way around (more so every day)! But its all the better for it.

This is like a window into their souls, you can't see a lot , just a bit of human ,but you are in touch of something what is kept normally deep in secret.

Communicating with people through writing has often given me this feeling. Besides, it adds an entirely different dimension to their personality. Knowing someone in person is fine, yet the relationship (even a long-standing one) is often much more superficial, in my opinion. There we go getting carried away again!

Jan - "the poor flamenco dancer"

Are you really? I say, why are men as a whole much less enthusiastic about dancing than women? probably something to do with sensitivity.

Why do you like English, because it is easier than Polis #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 08, 2006 20:57 pm   Why do you like English, because it is easier than Polis

These buzzing sounds are a kind of hallmark and the sound 'zh' [long z] is predominant in Polish, I find my friend is called Grazena (Im not sure if the z takes an accent mark). Anyway, thank you for the lesson.

your friend name has to be " Grazyna " written z with dot above, the z with ' above is a bit diffrent etc etc....
Funny thing is that you may find these Polish z in just one more alhabet
guess which one ... Maltese.
You will be suprise younglady about dancing , you will be suprise...
I used to make jokes from my colleage who had chosen
sunny Spain to live that flamenco is compulsory on Costa Brava. So and so he will be granded exemptions but imagine
him trying was quite funny.
Jan
Jan

Location: At sea

Why do you like English? #8 (permalink) Sat Apr 22, 2006 13:20 pm   Why do you like English?

Hello Conchita and the other posters! :D

Do you like to know why the Filipinos just love the English language? They said, blame it on the marines :) . When our country was colonized, the Americans left a good image with the people. In fact, we don't only love the language but we love almost everything that the Americans have and do. We have colonial mentality until now, even if the Americans left us for 'centuries' already. I think the reason for this is that the Americans really exposed us to the Western culture. The Spaniards were also our first colonizers but we weren't as influenced by them as compared to our being enthusiastic with the 'Englishes'. Right now, we love English more because of the rising exposure through the internet and other media. However, we need to have a restructure with regards to the English instruction in our schools as the English proficiency of our graduates are deteriorating, maybe because of the government's policy to use Pilipino as another language to be used as a medium of instruction in few subjects.

Regards. :D
Avant

Why do you like English? #9 (permalink) Fri May 05, 2006 8:10 am   Why do you like English?

Well, it's important to know the language. It's almost a universal language, a medium. People of different countries speak to each other in english. If a French would speak to a Filipino, I think they will talk in english.
Chocolatee

Hi Conchita, about English #10 (permalink) Tue May 23, 2006 17:55 pm   Hi Conchita, about English

Well,My interest in English started when I was a child.
In my school,my classes were spoken and writen in English so it was a necessity for me to learn the language,then when my parents changed me from that school ,I missed to use English ,so I entered in an institute trying to improve what I had in my memory and learn what I havent learned before, in addition, I love English songs, and romantic ones are better in their language than their tranlations.

Cris

Brains,like hearts,go where they are appreciated.
_________________
Brains like hearts go where they are appreciated.
Cristina

Location: Lima Peru

Avoiding correct wordsNew kind of creature?What's more important - love or custom?LanguageLab.com A new way to learn languageDogs (idioms and expressions)What you say? (expression: 'a stone's throw away')Do you find Michael Jackson difficult to understand?I need some advice on improving my fluencyCommon European Framework of Reference?What you say? (bush expressions)Say that again: How does GHOTI become FISH?Why a good accent is important (again)What noise really gets on your nerves?