to pretend; to imitate; to fake; to fabricate; to make up
garnish
feign
rue
vaunt

Describe a major obstacle you have faced

should we give sports and social clubs the same finiancial support as libraries? | It is only worth watching movies that can teach us something about real life, agr
Describe a major obstacle you have faced #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 24, 2010 15:03 pm   Describe a major obstacle you have faced

Describe a major obstacle you have faced in your professional, academic, or personal life. How did you overcome this obstacle? How did this experience foster your personal and professional development?I was the president of Roller skating club in our university. By organizing several performances and coordinating daily training, I gradually gained the trust of our members. A choice confronted me in the general election. There were two candidates, one was my assistant, who often helped me deal with daily work, but was used to spending the fund freely. The other was a skillful player, but lack of experience of organizing activities.

In the Roller Skating world, prowess of the president usually represents the level of the whole community. Thus I recommended the latter to the Committee in the election. After that, I was engaged in my personal affairs and was less involved in club activities. Six months later, I discovered by accident that our club was totally a mess. My previous assistant left for study abroad. It became difficult for the new president to establish his reputation and to assign tasks. His enthusiasm had gradually declined.

It was my fault. I should have assisted him to adapt to his new position, and should have considered the emotion of all our members. But I did not. I felt ashamed for people’s trust. I became afraid to go to the parking area where we used to play. Everyone seemed to blame me. I dare not to look at previous presidents’ scornful eyes. Sometimes I could not help thinking of our past days, and perhaps I would never confront those friends again in our play yard, and then I could not imagine any more.

On June 6th, the great festival for all roller skaters, I did not celebrate with friends in the club as before, but stayed in a small coffee house with my best friend. He warned me: If the club still had no leader should you really felt guilty for people’s trust.

His words awoke me. Hiding as an ostrich only reflected my selfishness. It meant nothing but damage of interests of all people who love Roller Skating. This is not what I do! I found the current president, told him my regret, and invited him to help me handle the crisis. From that day on, I set our minds on the recovery of the club and put down all other things, stopped the preparation for CFA test, called off the coming GRE, and even lost some classes at school. Finally the community came back on track and the new president successfully won others’ support through activities we hold during this period.

This experience accelerated my maturity, taught me to think comprehensively, and especially helped me realize the complexity of personnel issues in organizations. What’s more, this experience deepened my understanding of responsibility, telling me that a person lives not only for himself, never and ever.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Art History
Glorning

Location: Beijing, China

Describe a major obstacle you have faced #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 24, 2010 16:13 pm   Describe a major obstacle you have faced

Glorning wrote:
Describe a major obstacle you have faced in your professional, academic, or personal life. How did you overcome this obstacle? How did this experience foster your personal and professional development?

I was the president of Roller skating club in our university. By organizing several performances and coordinating daily training, I gradually gained the trust of our members. A choice confronted me in the general election; there were two candidates, one was my assistant, who often helped me deal with daily work, but was used to spending the fund freely. The other was a skillful player, but lacking in experience of organizing activities.

In the Roller Skating world, prowess of the president usually represents the level of the whole community. Thus I recommended the latter to the Committee in the election. After that, I was engaged in my personal affairs and was less involved in club activities. Six months later, I discovered by accident that our club was totally in a mess. My previous assistant had left to study abroad. It became difficult for the new president to establish his reputation and to assign tasks. His enthusiasm had gradually declined.

It was my fault. I should have assisted him to adapt to his new position, and should have considered the emotion of all our members. But I did had not. I felt ashamed for betraying people’s trust. I became afraid to go to the parking area where we used to play. Everyone seemed to blame me. I dare not to look at previous presidents’ scornful eyes. Sometimes I could not help thinking of our past days, and perhaps I would never confront those friends again in our play yard, and then I could not imagine any more.

On June 6th, the great festival for all roller skaters, I dd not celebrate with friends in the club as before, but stayed in a small coffee house with my best friend. He warned me: If the club still had no leader should you really feel guilty for people not trusting you.

His words awoke me. Hiding as an ostrich only reflected my selfishness. It meant nothing but damage to the interests of all people who love Roller Skating. This is not what I do! I found the current president, told him of my regret, and invited him to help me handle the crisis. From that day on, we set our minds on the recovery of the club ,and put down all other things, stopped the preparation for CFA test, called off the coming GRE, and even lost some classes at school. Finally the community came back on track and the new president successfully won others’ support through activities we held during this period.

This experience accelerated my maturity, taught me to think comprehensively, and especially helped me realize the complexity of personnel issues in organizations. What’s more, this experience deepened my understanding of responsibility, showing me that a person lives not only for himself.
...............................................................................................................................
Nicely written Glorning. Make sure you review this work before starting your next essay.

Kitos. 8.5/10

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemRead these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Describe a major obstacle you have faced #3 (permalink) Sun Oct 24, 2010 16:50 pm   Describe a major obstacle you have faced

Thank you~Kitosdad, Of course I will.
Glorning

Location: Beijing, China

Being creative rather than planning carefully will come up with the best solutionIt is only worth watching movies that can teach us something about real life,Television has destroyed communication among friends and familyYou should make sure people are aware of your strengths:agree/disagreeEssay: Museums are a waste of money.Should young people try different job before decide their future career?Which place would you prefer to live in: big city or small town?You have received a gift of money. The money is enough to buy either a piece of jAnalysis of argument-1Integrated essay: productivity and rewardsAdvertisements have a bad influence on people.Agree Or disagree?“Is Netspeak harming the Vietnamese?”Do you agree that playing sports teaches people more lessons about the life?