state of happiness; high ability; talent; joy
fracas
felicity
luminary
facade

Advertising is a waste of time and money

What gift would you give to help a child develop? | TOEFL® ESSAY: Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why...
Advertising is a waste of time and money #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:20 am   Advertising is a waste of time and money

Hello, Kitosdad.
Thanks for your correction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Advertising is a waste of time and money because customers already know what they want.

As our society highly developed, there are more and more products available for people to choose from. Therefore arises the problem that whether advertising is a waste of money and time or not. On one hand, Some people who believe that customers already know what they want argue that advertisements have already lost their effective uses; on the other hand, some people hold the opinion that customers will have trouble in finding what product they really want because of the various kinds of goods provided by thousands of manufactures, so advertising is an effective method to attract potential buyers. As far as I’m concerned, Advertising is not just a waste of time and money due to several reasons.

Admittedly, some people now are more independent in choosing which product to buy and which not. They probably already know the ideal commodities they want in heart. However, for people who are too busy to care about fashions in our life and those who enjoy buying goods online, advertisement is still of great significance for companies.

We live in a high tempo world today and people are always busy with their work and study. They have neither sufficient time nor surplus energy to focus on the variety brands of commodities. When they come to the choice question of which product should they take, they can hardly make the decision. Therefore advertisements play a very important role in guiding these people to find the most suitable product for them. For instance, my uncle Du Fei works as an engineer in a research institute, and he is involved in research tasks all the time. So he uses advertisements on TV and magazines to help him decide which merchandise to buy.

Another point worth mentioning is that with the rapid development of modern technologies, especially computer technologies, people are more likely to shopping online. In this way, advertisements on the Internet can definitely promote the sales of the products, for the simple reason that the only criterion of judgment for commodities online is the pictures and videos shown on websites. Taking my own experience as an example, once I was looking for a pair of earphones, I ran into a dilemmatic situation that whether to choose Sony or Phillips product, which both have a reasonable price and good credit. I finally take the latter one, mostly because of the lively and fancy pictures that presented on the website of Phillips.

In conclusion, even though advertising lost part of its effectiveness, it is not only a waste of money and time, since people have different demands and understandings.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor mention Cygnus X-1?
Drofish

Location: China

Advertising is a waste of time and money #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 am   Advertising is a waste of time and money

Drofish wrote:
Hello, Kitosdad.
Thanks for your correction.

As our society becomes more highly developed, there are more and more products available for people to choose from. Therefore the question arises as to whether advertising is a waste of money and time or not. On one hand, some people who believe that customers already know what they want argue that advertisements have already lost their incentive. On the other hand, some people hold the opinion that customers will have trouble in finding what product they really want because of the unending array of goods exhibited by thousands of manufactures, so advertising is an effective method to attract potential buyers. As far as I’m concerned, advertising is not just a waste of time and money due to several reasons.

Admittedly, some people now are more independent in choosing which product to buy and which not. They probably already know the ideal commodities they want. However, for people who are too busy to care about fashions in their life and those who enjoy buying goods on-line, advertisements are still of great significance to companies.

We live in a high tempo world today and people are always busy with their work and studies. They have neither sufficient time nor surplus energy to focus on the various brands of commodities. When they come to the question as to which product they should buy, they can hardly make the decision. Therefore advertisements play a very important role in guiding these people to find the most suitable product for them. For instance, my uncle Du Fei works as an engineer in a research institute, and he is involved in research tasks all the time. So he uses advertisements on TV and magazines to help him decide which merchandise to buy.

Another point worth mentioning is that with the rapid development of modern technologies, especially computer technologies, people are more likely to shopping on-line. In this way, advertisements on the Internet can definitely promote the sales of the products, for the simple reason that the only criterion of judgement for commodities on-line are the pictures and videos shown on websites. Taking my own experience as an example, once when I was looking for a set of earphones, I ran into a situation as to that whether to choose a Sony or Phillips product, because both had a reasonable price and good credibility. I finally decided to buy the latter one, mostly because of the lively and fancy pictures that were presented on the website of Phillips.

In conclusion, even though advertising has lost part of its effectiveness, it is definitely not a waste of money and time, since people have different demands and understandings.
................................................................................................................................
You covered the topic quite well Drofish.

KItos. 8/10

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHave you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Advertising is a waste of time and money #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:11 am   Advertising is a waste of time and money

Thanks for your correction.
I'm trying to write faster now because it seems I can barely finish my essay on time.
I will keep on working.
Drofish

Location: China

Do you agree or disagree? "Progress is always a good thing"A company has announced that it wishesto build a large factory nearyour communityNot everything that is learned is contained in books. Agree or not?There is nothing that young people can teach older peoplelaunch a center for business researchDo you agree or disagree? "People learn and improve from adversity (hardshipA long vacation vs. several short vacationspublic concern over drug abuseHow is better to promote employees? seniority or performance?is it better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a big city.need help on my essay...any corrections and or commentsA/ D-Distance learning and online computer classes should replace classroom leChange in my school...