tool; implement; device; appliance; agent; means
fee
instrument
liberal
debris

I'm swell - acceptable expression?

Olympic Games mascot? | 'in' words and 'out' words
I'm swell - acceptable expression? #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:58 pm   I'm swell - acceptable expression?

Hi, is this an acceptable expression:

I'm swell.

I know it means I'm OK/I'm fine but who uses it in what situation?
Olaf
Spearhead

Location: Oslo

I'm swell - acceptable expression? #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 01, 2006 13:21 pm   I'm swell - acceptable expression?

You usually hear the word "swell" to mean very well or very good in slang from the 1950s, but I think its origin goes back a few decades before that, at least. You hear it most on TV shows from the 1950s, or films from the '40s. It's seldom used now, and when it is, it's often used in an ironic sense, so when someone says, "I'm swell!" you have to figure out whether he's really doing well, or if he's doing badly and is just being sarcastic. There are a few people, though, who still use it in the old positive sense, without being sarcastic.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What verb do you use with "fireworks"?Commercial or commerical?Difference between must and have to?'way to' + infinitive vs. 'way of' + gerundCould you please answer my vocabulary questions about sustainability?Play vs. gameStick one's foot into one's mouth?Is this sentence an inversion?Idiom: "to see red"Meaning: However, this does not allow reclassifying...Too many adverbs?When do we use the plural of 'money' (monies)?Anyway vs. any way