Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

tool; implement; device; appliance; agent; means
fee
instrument
liberal
debris
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I'm swell - acceptable expression?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Olympic Games mascot? | 'in' words and 'out' words
listening exercisestell a friend
I'm swell - acceptable expression? #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:58 pm   I'm swell - acceptable expression?

Hi, is this an acceptable expression:

I'm swell.

I know it means I'm OK/I'm fine but who uses it in what situation?
Thanks
Olaf
Spearhead
You can meet me at english-test.net

I'm swell - acceptable expression? #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 01, 2006 13:21 pm   I'm swell - acceptable expression?

You usually hear the word "swell" to mean very well or very good in slang from the 1950s, but I think its origin goes back a few decades before that, at least. You hear it most on TV shows from the 1950s, or films from the '40s. It's seldom used now, and when it is, it's often used in an ironic sense, so when someone says, "I'm swell!" you have to figure out whether he's really doing well, or if he's doing badly and is just being sarcastic. There are a few people, though, who still use it in the old positive sense, without being sarcastic.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Olympic Games mascot? | 'in' words and 'out' words
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What verb do you use with "fireworks"?Commercial or commerical?Difference between must and have to?'way to' + infinitive vs. 'way of' + gerundCould you please answer my vocabulary questions about sustainability?Play vs. gameStick one's foot into one's mouth?Is this sentence an inversion?Idiom: "to see red"Meaning: However, this does not allow reclassifying...Too many adverbs?When do we use the plural of 'money' (monies)?Anyway vs. any way