friendly; genial; pleasant
haughty
sovereign
sinister
amiable

The advantages and disadvantages of the cinema

Is it a good idea to have boys-only and girls-only schools | some organizations publicize their activities by introducing special days
The advantages and disadvantages of the cinema #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:32 pm   The advantages and disadvantages of the cinema

Good morning Sir! This is my latest essay which was written some minutes ago. I hope it's good. Thank you in advance and have a wonderful new day!

When you read a profile of your friends on a social network, it is common to meet the phrase “going to the cinema” listed as one of their favorite part-time hobbies. Moreover, incoming movies are always a hot topic for teenagers nowadays to chat about. It’s the fact that the cinema has been playing an important role in the modern life. It attracts large numbers of people everyday from a college student to a successful businessman. The cinema is now a part of our daily life and hence, needs to be thoroughly considered.
Since “the cinema” is not a strange place of entertainment for most people in developing countries like Vietnam, it surely has a deep influence on all cinema-goers irrespective of age, occupation or so on. It cannot be denied that the influence is sometimes good, and sometimes it is bad.
A newspaper has recently carried out a survey on movies shown on the big screen. Surprisingly, the number of violent and thrilling movies, which are usually meant for people above the age of 18, is rapidly increasing while comedies, family ones accounts for a small percentage. Movies showing criminal activities and the sensual desires can easily cause harm to the youths. Although the producers of those movies often end them with the triumph to the good, they are still unable to control the number of criminals under age rising everyday in populous cities. Young people can take after the characters in the movies they have seen which are mostly fictional. It would be terrifying if some of them were hopeless at distinguishing the real world with the virtual one. Besides, you waste 6 $ each time you purchase a ticket for admittance to the cinema and 6 $ more to pay for snacks during the movie. The amount of money might be small in one point but it could turn out to be thousands if you became addicted to visiting the cinema.
However, no one can ignore the great advantages that the cinema is bringing besides the entertainment and relaxation. The cinema helps to spread knowledge, to remind people about their past and present. There are movies which portray some of the famous battles in the past, the heroes who are forever to be forgotten and some events after being made into movies shall never fade away in the watchers’ minds. Movies which send meaningful messages about the world, the environment or humanity will live on from generation to generation. Movies tell us to never forget about people who had struggled to bring us our lives today. They tell us to appreciate our present as well as keep moving forward to the future. In this respect, the cinema could be regarded as a school where the dullest students could easily learn a good few of valuable lessons from educational movies. This is a thing that books and teachers have failed to achieve. For instance, a student by watching a movie could learn by heart all the necessary historical happenings, which could be bored stiff if they were written into books. Such is the effect of the film, and in many countries, educational authorities are trying to make the best use of the cinema to spread knowledge and information.
It is therefore clear that the cinema has many advantages as well as disadvantages. Often the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Those who visit the cinema with the purpose of learning something good are sure to benefit from almost every visit to the cinema.

TOEFL listening lectures: What does the professor imply about Leonardo da Vinci?
Lennihollander

Re: The advantages and disadvantages of the cinema #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 20, 2010 14:13 pm   Re: The advantages and disadvantages of the cinema

When you read a profile of your friends on a social network, it is common to meet the phrase “going to the cinema” listed as one of their favorite part-time hobbies. Moreover, incoming movies are always a hot topic for teenagers nowadays to chat about. It’s a fact that the cinema is playing an important role in our modern life. It attracts large numbers of people everyday, from a college student to a successful businessman. The cinema is now a part of our daily lives and hence, needs to be thoroughly considered.
Since “the cinema” is not a strange place of entertainment for most people in developing countries like Vietnam, it surely has a deep influence on all cinema-goers irrespective of age, occupation or so on. It cannot be denied that the influence is sometimes good, and sometimes bad.
A newspaper has recently carried out a survey on movies shown on the big screen. Surprisingly, the number of violent and thrilling movies, which are usually meant for people above the age of 18, is rapidly increasing, while comedies, family ones accounts for only a small percentage. Movies showing criminal activities and the sensual desires can easily cause harm to teenagers. Although the producers of those movies often end them with triumph going to the good, they are still unable to control the numbers of under age criminals which is rising everyday in heavily populated cities. Young people can take after the characters in the movies they have seen, which are mostly fictional. It would be terrifying if some of them were hopeless at distinguishing between the real world and the virtual one. Besides, you waste 6 $ each time you purchase a ticket for admittance to the cinema, and about 6 $ more to pay for snacks during the movie. The amount of money might be small at one point, but it could turn out to be thousands if you became addicted to visiting the cinema.
However, no one can ignore the great advantages that the cinema is bringing besides the entertainment and relaxation. The cinema helps to spread knowledge, to remind people about their past and present. There are movies which portray some of the most famous battles in the past, the heroes who are never to be forgotten, and some events after being made into movies that shall never fade away in the watchers’ minds. Movies which send meaningful messages about the world, the environment or humanity, will live on from generation to generation. Movies tell us to never forget about people who had struggled to bring us our lives today. They tell us to appreciate our present as well as keep moving forward to the future. In this respect, the cinema could be regarded as a school where the dullest students could easily learn a good few valuable lessons from educational movies. This is a thing that many books and teachers have failed to achieve. For instance, a student, by watching a movie, could learn by heart all the necessary historical happenings, whilst they would be very boring if they were written into books. Such is the effect of films. In many countries, educational authorities are trying to make the best use of the cinema to spread knowledge and information.
It is therefore clear that the cinema has many advantages as well as disadvantages. Often the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Those who visit the cinema with the purpose of learning something good are sure to benefit from almost every visit.
................................................................................................................................Exceptionally good work Lenni. Well done.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemThis newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
A lot of people find it difficult to write letters and often avoid doing so altogNewspapers and magazines are the best ways to learn about a foreign country.Technology has made the world a better place to live.Sport vs librariesAn integrated essay-Neanderthalssome people think government should stop investing in space research.An integrated essayAn integrated essayMedia pay too much attention to the personal lives of famous peopleGot up early in the morning and start work or work late at nightwhether teacher should show their political or social views in the class or not.nowadays cheap air travel is increasingly popular in the world.Integrated essay-