Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

replacement; person or thing that takes the place of another
division
error
necessary
substitute
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

turning brown

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Can you give me a little more information about the house? | Anger is more meaningful than rage.
listening exercisestell a friend
turning brown #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 21, 2010 14:49 pm   turning brown

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #230 "Adverbs of Quantity (3)", question 7

......... of the leaves on our trees in the backyard are turning brown. We have to water them soon.

(a) All
(b) Every
(c) Any
(d) Numerous

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #230 "Adverbs of Quantity (3)", answer 7

All of the leaves on our trees in the backyard are turning brown. We have to water them soon.

Correct answer: (a) All

Your answer was: incorrect
Numerous of the leaves on our trees in the backyard are turning brown. We have to water them soon.

Why not "numerous" ?
Is it an incorrect aswer definitely?
Many thanks
Ginevra
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

turning brown #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 21, 2010 16:02 pm   turning brown

'numerous' and 'of the' do not work together. You could say
'Numerous leaves on our trees', but because 'numerous' actually means 'a number of' you cannot say 'numerous of' because you would basically be saying,' a number of of the leaves...'

Numerous + of is always incorrect.
Language Coach

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
turning brown #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 25, 2012 22:01 pm   turning brown

"Any of the leaves on our trees in the backyard are turning brown. We have to water them soon."

Why is the sentence incorrect with 'any'. I can imagine that not all leaves became brown only some.

turning brown #4 (permalink) Tue Dec 25, 2012 23:28 pm   turning brown

'Any' does not allow for the fact that some would not turn brown.
Language Coach

turning brown #5 (permalink) Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:08 am   turning brown

Hello Bez,

Many thanks for your help and explanations. They are very clear. I was meditated on the last one:
'Any' does not allow for the fact that some would not turn brown."

any -used with singular countable nouns to refer to one of a number of things or people, when it does not matter which one
Take any book you like.
Any colour will do.
Any teacher will tell you that students learn at different rates.

So my sentence would mean:

"Any of the leaves on our trees in the backyard are turning brown. We have to water them soon." = that only one leaf turned brown. Am I right?

I don't know that you had read my Xmas greeting for everyone. I hope your Xmas was happy and merry and I wish you for the second day of Christmas a jolly and merry time.
And I wish for you and for both of us PEACE for the year of 2013. I wish for myself that I could change and I never misunderstand anybody. I may never forget that there are 59523 learners on this course.

Best regards:
Kati

Can you give me a little more information about the house? | Anger is more meaningful than rage.
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
This is known as separation of powerthe system encompassing this type of government is called shared powersChris has a class at 8 am, so he catches the 7:15 am bus.He is really angry, so we should leave him alone for a while.Mitchell is a police officer.Those kids should know better. They shouldn't tease that boy anymore.your evaluation please?the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in Californiahe was being hurtfulI don't have a jobA youth is a young personPassionate about art in general?What animal is a tortoise?