frail; feeble; faint; dilute; watery
principal
forward
fraudulent
weak

his back was up against the wall.

disgruntled customers | differences to anything, something, everything, nothing?
his back was up against the wall. #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 22, 2010 20:12 pm   his back was up against the wall.

Zack got into a fight at school, because he felt his ......... was up against the wall. The other boys kept yelling in his face even when he tried to walk away.

(a) back
(b) head
(c) spine
(d) heel

Zack got into a fight at school, because he felt his back was up against the wall. The other boys kept yelling in his face even when he tried to walk away.

Correct answer: (a) back
_________________________

I understand the sentence but I can't interpret than an idiom.
...he felt his back was up against the wall.
Why is it an idiom?
_________________

his back was up against the wall. #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:49 am   his back was up against the wall.

It is an idiom because there is no real wall.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
I'm ready for a lift.Relative clausedidn't want to have to do vs. didn't want to doin the hold up downtown?When a lift truck tips over, it leaks fuel.a bad hair daythe salt mines.I don't have a ghost of a chance...Verb Tense Practice(1)a veritable couch potato."The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here?difference between "fresh-shaven" and "clean-shavenWhat is an electronic appliance?