to establish communication; to make a connection; to link to; to connect with
avoid
enlighten
replace
contact

Isn't gestation period a medical term?

while I have you on the phone. | they are not fast growth potential vs. they have not fast growth potential
Isn't gestation period a medical term? #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:02 am   Isn't gestation period a medical term?

ESL/EFL Test #325 "The entrepreneurial life cycle (2): The seven stages", question 1

Opportunity Recognition: This ......... period is quite literally the 'pre-start' analysis; it often occurs over a considerable period of time ranging from one month to ten years.

(a) degustation
(b) digression
(c) generation
(d) gestation

ESL/EFL Test #325 "The entrepreneurial life cycle (2): The seven stages", answer 1

Opportunity Recognition: This gestation period is quite literally the 'pre-start' analysis; it often occurs over a considerable period of time ranging from one month to ten years.

Correct answer: (d) gestation
_________________________

Hello. Please tell me since when the term gestation period is used in business? I thought it was a medical or biological term? I studied business adminstration but I have never heard of the gestation period before. I thank you for your answer
WhiteRussian

Isn't gestation period a medical term? #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:23 am   Isn't gestation period a medical term?

The phrase has been used metaphorically in various fields for some time. These examples are from COCA (Corpus of Contemporary English). I have bolded the ones that are business-oriented:

...1993 quickly stimulated multiple workshops to manufacture replicas or variations of existing flags. The gestation period between the unveiling and publication of a newly discovered or popularized genre of West...

...said the Record Collection's Tappis. " Most of these bands had a long gestation period with independent labels where they put out two or three records. and they...

...starts to play, the violin is in preparation for life as a kind of gestation period. But there's nothing more gratifying than to see a violin in the...

...were excluded from the conference process. And during the course of the bill's gestation period we were made aware that many of its provisions were more or less openly...

...build the Queen Mary 2. HOW LONG DOES lT TAKE? A drug's gestation period from inception to market is between ten and 15 years... It took NASA...

...They might be years away, however. Like most worthwhile memoirs, a lengthy gestation period will increase the quality of insight these yet-unwritten memoirs have to offer.

...Unwin had moreover continued to support and encourage his author over a seventeen-year gestation period which in the event delivered quite a different birth from what had been intended...

...20 believers came together in Philadelphia for conversation on lay ministry. A gestation period followed that included meetings in Dallas and Chicago, culminating in a 1980 gathering...

...going to have to increase my facility, and we were looking at a long gestation period -- maybe six months until we got an order.

...upon a number of pieces, the conductor would do well to allow for a gestation period during which he or she can sit and ponder the possibilities for the order...

...What? -- seven months or so. And that's not a very long gestation period. The movie ratings system, which will be 30 years old in November...

...Many of the products you see coming out of IBM today have had a gestation period of 10 or 20 years. They were initiated by visionaries, many of...

...scholars because much of it relates to early proposals that were rejected during the five-year gestation period of the statute, I will demonstrate that the global vision of Congress was...

...concerning the nature of the legislation that Congress was attempting to build during the five-year gestation period of the independent counsel law. The hearings relating to S. 495 that absorbed...

...biological organization patterned after AIP. And thus AIBS was conceived, although the gestation period would last several years. In the beginning Roughly a year later...

Wall Street is not pressing all-out because the issue is still in the political gestation period, and they don't want to be accused of being greedy...

...forced to relinquish the love and anticipation and promise that had developed over the gestation period of our relationship. After the trial period, I believe I would...

...Ten years later everything was changed. Virtual reality may have a little longer gestation period, but it has the same potential.

...new government, committed to human rights reforms, took office in Turkey -- a gestation period long enough to produce significant change. But the promised reforms have not come.

...encouraging investment in a few strategic industrial sectors. Their high initial cost and long gestation period in effect preempted future choice and gave EPB/MTI actual powers over how money would...

...books by Marquand and Tanner were plainly each conceived some time ago. But the gestation period which follows the initial fertile encounter between a historian and a publishing house has...
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
go through securityask for your ticket and then give you a boarding passIf you build your enterprise on sandThere were all manner of thingsmove the goalpostsHe encourages his daughter to studyWhy were MyBlogLog, Flickr, del.icio.us ankle-biter aquistions?What are drill-bit stocks?we have finally got the problem resolvedWhat does endeavor mean?have you given thought?Unable to solve?We are getting a break?