unequal; different; unlike; contrasting
disparate
cogent
vernal
abstemious

Being a member of a large family-advantages and disadvantages

Is it easy to get over 70 on the IBT test? | Describe a time when you used English successfully
Being a member of a large family-advantages and disadvantages #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:28 am   Being a member of a large family-advantages and disadvantages

Hi, I'm a new member and I want to improve my writing skill. Please check my essay, thanks a lot!

Topic: Being a member of a large family-advantages and disadvantages

Nowadays, large families are not as popular as they used to be. One hundred years ago, there were many families with three or four generations living together. Being a member of a large family has both advantages and disadvantages.

A large family usually consists of grandparents, parents and children. It is so happy to be together with family in front of television watching favorite shows or around delicious dishes in the kitchen. Whenever a member gets into trouble, he or she can talk with other members and may get a lot of useful advices from people of all generations. Besides, being in a large family makes you get used to co-operating with others which you will have to practice many times in your future job.

However, there are some disadvantages. The most terrible thing is the big quarrel. For example, a quarrel about money can lead the whole family to depression and anger. If a father gets fired, his family’s expenses will be considerably cut down. Then it’s very difficult for his children to get higher education. Therefore, they have little chance of being successful in society.

Anyway, many people still enjoy being a member of a large family. Living in a large family is actually a very good thing if we always try our best to make our family happy.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a dorm mother and a resident
Hedwig

Re: Being a member of a large family-advantages and disadvantages #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:44 am   Re: Being a member of a large family-advantages and disadvantages

Hedwig wrote:

A large family usually consists of grandparents, parents and children. It is so happy to be together with ones family in front of a television watching our favorite shows, or sharing delicious dishes in the kitchen. Whenever a member gets into trouble, he or she can talk with other members and may get a lot of useful advice from people of all generations. Besides, being in a large family makes you get used to co-operating with others, which you will have to practice many times in your future job.

However, there are some disadvantages. The most terrible thing is the big quarrel. For example, a quarrel about money can lead the whole family to depression and anger. If a father gets fired, his family’s income will be considerably reduced. Then it’s very difficult for his children to get higher education. Therefore, they have little chance of being successful in society.

Anyway, many people still enjoy being members of a large family. Living in a large family is actually a very good thing if we always try our best to make our family happy.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Short and sweet. Pretty good Hedwig.

p s. Advice is uncountable and is always written as advice, even though you may think it is plural.

Kitos. 8.5/10

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemStart exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
To reply to your surveyTASK1Highways or public transportation, which should be given preferential financing?The 21st centuryAgree or not: good teachers set challenging tasks for their childrenhelp!there is a ielts essay,please help me cheque it thankyou very much :)A/D:It is only worth watching movies that can teach us something about real life.A job with more vacation time is better than a job with high salary but lesshow to implement work most efficiently? machines vs. handsparents should encourage their children to take part-time joblarge shopping center may be built in your neighborhoodBig city or countryside, which is better for children to frow up in?The spread of English