state of having committed a crime or offense; culpability; feeling of having done something wrong
maintenance
guilt
confusion
airways

TOEICŪ question: Difference between consultant and adviser/advisor?

TOEIC Practice tests Increase your TOEIC test score with
3420 flash cards plus an ESL book
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the TOEICŪ Test
TOEICŪ question: phrase "Promoting a company's brand franchise" | TOEICŪ question: Why don't we go out this evening vs. Why aren't we going out
TOEIC question: Difference between consultant and adviser/advisor? #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:06 am   TOEIC question: Difference between consultant and adviser/advisor?

could you please tell me when to use the word advisor/adviser and when to use consultant? As far as I understand, an advisor is a professional person who works for politicians and government officials whereas a consultant is a self-employed specialist who provides services for clients? Is that correct or can a finacial advisor also have their own firm? Anyway, what is the difference between both terms?

Thank you very much for all your support.
Olaf
Spearhead

Location: Oslo

Difference between consultant and adviser/advisor? #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 08, 2006 14:07 pm   Difference between consultant and adviser/advisor?

An advisor gives some kind of advice. He can do it as a job, or he can do it informally. You can have a professional political advisor, who gives advice to politicians, a financial advisor (who can work for a company or have his own practice), or many other types of professional advisors. But an advisor does not have to be a professional. Very often, a typical immigrant to the United States has a friend or relative who tells him what he should do, how to stay out of trouble, how to handle his money, etc. That person is also an advisor, because he gives advice.

A consultant is someone you consult. You can consult him for advice (in which case he is also an advisor), for technical services, or for other kinds of work.

In the good old days, a consultant was usually someone with years and years of professional experience. He then went out on his own and rented his expertise to various clients. Now, however, there has been a sort of title inflation, and some companies call any freelancer or outside contractor a "consultant". So, you get the strange situation where a kid right out of school, with no experience, is called a "consultant" just because he is freelance and the company doesn't withhold taxes from his pay and doesn't pay for his insurance. It's a little bit like companies where everyone is some kind of vice president.

TOEIC Test Preparation — Increase your Score with 684 free TOEIC Vocabulary TestsTOEIC Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEIC scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEIC Grammar Exercises — Improve your English grammar and vocabulary skillsEvaluate and certifiy your business communication skills with TOEIC — TOEIC Certification
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the TOEICŪ Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on TOEIC Test Forums
How relevant is ToeicŪ score? Not in my case!IELTS score any good for TOEICŪ?How to be qualified for the TOEICŪ?TOEICŪ vocab listTOEICŪ question: Former CEO quits as life president?TOEICŪ question: Who will go vs. Who is going?TOEICŪ question: What is the consumer sentiment index?TOEICŪ in ChinaI'd like to get a high toeicŪ scoreTOEICŪ question: GTC commonly used abbreviation?Suggestion: toeicŪ preperation book to studyTOEICŪ test errorsTOEICŪ question: term "Brand evangelists"