clever; resourceful; talented; inventive
ingenious
delinquent
gregarious
sanguinary

TOEFLŪ Essay: Not everything that is learned is contained...

ToeflŪ essay: In general, people are living longer now... | TOEFLŪ essay: stress reduction

rate
6.0
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
5.5
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
5.0
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4.5
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
4.0
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
less than 4.0
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

TOEFL Essay: Not everything that is learned is contained... #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 08, 2006 14:46 pm   TOEFL Essay: Not everything that is learned is contained...

Topic:
It has been said, "Not everything that is learned is contained in books." Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

There are generally two types of knowledge - theoretical and practical. Theoretical knowledge is the one gained from books, whereas practical knowledge is get by experience. I do believe that hose two are co-existent, but I would rather say that practical knowledge is a bit more important.

Firstly, knowledge from books gives you useful theories that can give you general ideas and help you understand the real phenomenon better. This kind of knowledge is written down, you can read it. There are many books available in almost every field, and a lot of them are written by speacialists in a particular area. For instance, you can learn who Celts were only by reading books about them. In this case it is even impossible to get some kind of practical knowledge as you cannot take part in archaeological excavations unless you are specially educated to do so.

On the other hand, there is knowledge which can only by acquired practically - by trying and doing things. In your daily life there are many things that you learn this way. An example of this is a set of basic skills, succh as speaking, walking, running, eating. These are things you learn by practice, as you would not read about them in books before doing them. Another example of this would even date back to the prehistoric times, when primitive people learned how to use and even make different tools. In addition, this kind of information was not written somewhere down, as there were no books at that time, and the primitive people could not read.

Moreover, as a Chinese saying says it, "practice is the only criterion of nspecting the truth." Let us take one example from the Renaissance. Before N. Copernick proved that the Earth is round actually, everybody believed that it is round. The reason for it was the fact that it was written somewhere. Therefore, you cannot trust every written word, but try to inspect things by yourself.

Taking into account the information about these two types of knowledge, it can be inferred that they both are important. Yet, you have to keep in mind that it is better to try to learn things practically as long as it is possible, as boos (even they would be written by specialists and experts) would probably contain some mistakes.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university arts lecture on Greek drama
Translatinga

TOEFL Essay: Not everything that is learned is contained... #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 08, 2006 19:22 pm   TOEFL Essay: Not everything that is learned is contained...

Hi again,

Topic:

There are generally two types of knowledge - theoretical and practical. Theoretical knowledge is the one gained from books, whereas practical knowledge is get by (GOT FROM) experience. I do believe that Those two are co-existent, but I would rather say that practical knowledge is a bit more important.

Firstly, knowledge from books gives you useful theories that can give you general ideas and help you understand the real phenomenon better. This kind of knowledge is written down,SO you can read it. There are many books available in almost every field, and a lot of them are written by spEcialists in a particular area. For instance, you can learn who Celts were only by reading books about them. In this case it is even (VIRTUALLY) impossible to get some kind of practical knowledge as you cannot take part in archaeological excavations unless you are specially educated (TRAINED) to do so.

On the other hand, there is knowledge which can only by acquired practically - by trying and doing things. In your daily life there are many things that you learn this way. An example of this is a set of basic skills, suuch (SUCH) as speaking, walking, running, eating. These are things you learn by practice, as you would not read about them in books before doing them. Another example of this would even date back to the (NO ARTICLE HERE) prehistoric times, when primitive people learned how to use and even make different tools. In addition, this kind of information was not written somewhere down, (NOT WRITTEN DOWN ANYWHERE) as there were no books at that time, and the (NO ARTICLE) primitive people could not read.

Moreover, as a Chinese saying says (HAS) it, "practice is the only criterion of FOR nspecting?? (DISCOVERING) the truth." Let us take one example from the Renaissance. Before N. Copernick proved that the Earth is round actually, everybody believed that it is round. The reason for it was the fact that it was written somewhere. Therefore, you cannot trust every written word, but try to inspect (DISCIVER) things by yourself.

Taking into account the information about these two types of knowledge, it can be inferred that they both are important. Yet, you have to keep in mind that it is better to try to learn things practically as long as it is possible, as booKs (even they would be written by specialists and experts) would probably contain some mistakes.

Quite good. Be careful about spelling and have a look at a piece on the site under the heading esl lessons that I've written on the Articles.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemRead these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between can and could?All about the TOEFLŪAn essay on pets...Will another essay be OK?TOEFLŪ essay: a large shopping center may be built...Incomplete name in my TOEFLŪ CBTscore cardIs IBT TOEFLŪ much more difficult especially the part of speaking?TOEFLŪ Score. Please help me with my scoresPlease review this essay (on money spending)TOEFLŪ essay: Colleges and Universities are regarded as...ToeflŪ essay: If you could change one important thing about...When is the toeflŪ pattern goin to changeTOEFLŪ Essay: The function of science is to reassure...