push; lift; incentive; encouragement
attachment
fence
option
boost

TOEICŪ question: Who will go vs. Who is going?

TOEIC Practice tests Increase your TOEIC test score with
3420 flash cards plus an ESL book
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the TOEICŪ Test
TOEICŪ question: Why don't we go out this evening vs. Why aren't we going out | TOEICŪ question: What is the consumer sentiment index?
TOEIC question: Who will go vs. Who is going? #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 10, 2006 14:10 pm   TOEIC question: Who will go vs. Who is going?

I hope it's OK if I post a couple of questions in a row?
I'm still going through the test questions in my TOEIC prep book and I'd like for you to explain a point of two regarding the correct use of the tenses. Please take a look at this question:

Who will go with you on the business trip?

My question is, could I also say:

Who is going with you on the business trip?

I mean, if the speakers know for sure that there will be a business trip, couldn't the present progressive be used instead of the simple future?

Olaf
Spearhead

Location: Oslo

Who will go vs. who is going? #2 (permalink) Fri Mar 10, 2006 15:18 pm   Who will go vs. who is going?

If the speakers know for sure that there is going to be a business trip, and that it has been arranged for someone to go with "you", then the present progressive works.

Using "will" would fit into this situation too, but in my opinion it might also have one or more slightly different meanings. Maybe no one has been chosen to go with you yet, and the person is wondering who can be chosen. "Who will go with you?" can also mean something like, "Who would even be willing to go with you?"

TOEIC Test Preparation — Increase your Score with 684 free TOEIC Vocabulary TestsTOEIC Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEIC scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEIC Grammar Exercises — Improve your English grammar and vocabulary skillsEvaluate and certifiy your business communication skills with TOEIC — TOEIC Certification
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the TOEICŪ Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on TOEIC Test Forums
How to find the right TOEICŪ-centerQuestion of TOEICŪ: difference between which and thatHow relevant is ToeicŪ score? Not in my case!IELTS score any good for TOEICŪ?How to be qualified for the TOEICŪ?TOEICŪ vocab listTOEICŪ question: Former CEO quits as life president?TOEICŪ question: Difference between consultant and adviser/advisor?TOEICŪ in ChinaTOEICŪ question: phrase "Promoting a company's brand franchise"I'd like to get a high toeicŪ scoreTOEICŪ question: GTC commonly used abbreviation?Suggestion: toeicŪ preperation book to study