to distinguish; to perceive; to recognize; to discriminate
respond
discern
adapt
defend

Grammar MCQs

OMG - Relatives | Leaving out which/that
Grammar MCQs #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:40 am   Grammar MCQs

Hi All

Please look at above MCQs. I need your help that how correct I am.

Here is my answers:

Q1 : c
Q2 : a
Q3 : c
Q4 : c
Q5 : b
Q6 : a
Mamdani99

Grammar MCQs #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:28 am   Grammar MCQs

Q1: B (Inversion with only after)
Q2: A
Q3: C (Nonessential appositive is always separated from the rest of the sentence with commas)
Q4: C (No comma is used if the adverb clause comes after the main clause)
Q5: B
Q6: A
_________________
"I would rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain
Atomos

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Grammar MCQs #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:37 am   Grammar MCQs

In #2 "A" seems to be wrong because of the odd word choice: tickets are normally sold out, not just sold.
I think "B" is the right choice: "Yes, and it was one of the best shows I had ever seen."

As for the rest, I agree with what Atomos wrote.
_________________

Grammar MCQs #4 (permalink) Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am   Grammar MCQs

Our Tort System wrote:

Well, at that time I chose A because I thought "all" and "already" somehow could imply the "sold out" status of the tickets. Furthermore, the word "and" in B seemed odd and unnecessary to me. Having said that, I strongly believe your choice is the correct one
_________________
Atomos

Grammar MCQs #5 (permalink) Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:23 am   Grammar MCQs

Thank you so much for your suggestions, Atomos & Our Tort System.
Mamdani99

Grammar MCQs #6 (permalink) Fri Dec 31, 2010 14:15 pm   Grammar MCQs

I would say 1b, 2a, 3c, 4b, 5b, 6a. (I have underlined the ones we do not seem to agree on. :-))

You agree on #1 a? -- I'd say that doesn't make sense. -- 'Only after they had completed an exhaustive study did they understand to begin how to adapt the technology to the needs of our company.'

I think the correct option in #1 is b. -- 'Only after they had completed an exhaustive study did they begin to understand how to adapt the technology to the needs of our company.'
_________________
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Cristina.ro

Grammar MCQs #7 (permalink) Fri Dec 31, 2010 14:40 pm   Grammar MCQs

Cristina.ro wrote:

My mistake. I really meant #1 B, don't know why I wrote A though...
_________________
Atomos

Grammar MCQs #8 (permalink) Fri Dec 31, 2010 14:51 pm   Grammar MCQs

About #4 B, there's nothing wrong with it. Unusual as it may seem, a semicolon sometimes can be used to separate items in a list when at least one of the items contains a comma.

Ex: We visited San Francisco, California; Portland, Oregon; and Seattle, Washington.
_________________
Atomos

Grammar MCQs #9 (permalink) Sat Jan 01, 2011 18:52 pm   Grammar MCQs

Atomos wrote:
Cristina.ro wrote:

Great... here you admit your mistake regarding question #1 and then you go back and edit your first post! My post doesn't make much sense now, does it? :-)
_________________
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Cristina.ro

Grammar MCQs #10 (permalink) Sat Jan 01, 2011 18:56 pm   Grammar MCQs

But you chose C for question 4 in a post above Atomos.
_________________
Rolling stone gathers no moss.
Bookaholic_English

Please help me)Which one is correct?Question about GRE® and TOEFL®why the p. cont?there’s more content than you can shake a stick atparaphrasing of one sentence 12paraphrasing of one sentence 11the highway of Mammon and the auxiliary godsUS pronunciation of "its"PradasPlease explainparaphrasing of one sentence 10paraphrasing of one sentence 9