Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to look over; to observe; to examine carefully; to study
survey
complicate
dissipate
convince
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

otoplasty.

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of words 'overtaker' and 'takeover' | Anything similar to a scarf?
listening exercisestell a friend
otoplasty. #1 (permalink) Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:26 am   otoplasty.

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #833 "Ancient Plastic Surgery", question 6

Even more surprising was the discovery that the world's first medical school was established in 1500 BC in Pakistan. Previously, the Hindu author Sushruta wrote about surgical methods, including nose surgery and ..........

(a) officious
(b) octoplasty
(c) oncogene
(d) outmoded

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #833 "Ancient Plastic Surgery", answer 6

Even more surprising was the discovery that the world's first medical school was established in 1500 BC in Pakistan. Previously, the Hindu author Sushruta wrote about surgical methods, including nose surgery and octoplasty.

Correct answer: (b) octoplasty

Your answer was: correct

Hello,

Standard webpages do not contain "octoplasty". I think the medical term meant by the tester is either "otoplasty" or "osteoplasty". Could you please look into this matter?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

otoplasty. #2 (permalink) Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:55 am   otoplasty.

I'm going to guess that 'otoplasty' was intended. Thanks, Bhikkhu. I have fixed it.

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
otoplasty. #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:57 am   otoplasty.

PS: Tell me, Bhikkhu, what is your opinion of the distractors (the false answers) in these advanced tests? Do you find them challenging, or is the correct answer easy to determine?

otoplasty. #4 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:12 am   otoplasty.

Hello Mister Micawber,

Presently, Englishtest.net is an ideal website for me to practise and build up my English vocabularies, grammar, comprehension and listening. The website covers a huge variety of English usage in the Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced levels. Needless to say, the Advanced level is not a piece a cake and is challenging for me. Not only are the correct answers challenging, but the distracters provided are also challenging.

As far as I am concerned, it is a good step to learn the varieties of English usage provided in the tests. Because the standard dictionary contains between 100,000 and 200,000 words, phrases and meanings, it is impractical for me to memorize all of them. Furthermore, I do not know the essential words that are relevant to modern usage of all subjects all over the world. Therefore, the Advanced level tests, which cover multiple subjects, are very good guides to English usage at present for me.

Finally, I hope that my English is getting better and better in future. Thank you for your guidance and support.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

otoplasty. #5 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:16 am   otoplasty.

So, you had to look up all 4 words--

(a) officious
(b) otoplasty
(c) oncogene
(d) outmoded

-- in order to decide which one fit this blank: 'nose surgery and .......... '?

Meaning of words 'overtaker' and 'takeover' | Anything similar to a scarf?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
You must follow the lawAscertain vs. ascribestruck silentDo you have to workpast simple/present perfectare/will bea microcosm of European historybusy as a bee.Is my questions are correct?how much the buyers can afford to spend.closing a sale.maintain their language skills.cute as a bug.