use of force; compulsion; pressure
blandishment
coercion
countenance
emissary

Scientists should be responsible for the negative impacts of their discoveries.

Integrated task : The Altruism | Advertising: good-bad
Scientists should be responsible for the negative impacts of their discoveries. #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 10, 2011 19:04 pm   Scientists should be responsible for the negative impacts of their discoveries.

Hi, Kitos. Thanks so much for reviewing my essay.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you agree or disagree with the statement?
Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.

Thanks to the advance of science, our lives have become much comfortable now. Of course, not all scientific discoveries influence our lives in a positive way. Are scientists supposed to shoulder the responsibilities upon the negative impacts of scientific discoveries? As far as I think, I am strongly opposed to this opinion.

To begin with, scientists’ job is to find out new things or figure out new theories through a wide variety of experiments. When they discovery something meeting our benefit, we sing high praise for them; conversely, if they find something we think it is potentially harmful to the society, the scientist should take full responsibilities for that. In my view, it is totally unfair. We cannot blame the one who invent automobiles because of the exhausted gases discharged by them, or the one devise the steam machine, which further led to the industrialization, due to the waste produced during manufacturing.

Moreover, as for me, the government is the one who ought to be responsible for the influence of scientific discoveries. Firstly, to avoid making a negative impact, governments should enact some laws to regulate the research activities in science field. For example, in many countries, it’s illegal for scientists attempting to perform the human cloning experiment. Secondly, governments ought to supervise the implement based on scientific study results. As long as the experimental results are not applied in a realistic environment, there will not be any impact toward our lives.

Last but not least, as a coin has two sides, one same scientific discovery can have two distinct opposed effect according to the people who master it. Take a knife as an example. A knife in a talented artist’s hands will be a tool to help accomplish a masterpiece; if it is in a gangster’s hands, it will be a misused weapon.

Take all reasons into account, scientists are not supposed to take responsibilities for the negative influence derived from their researches and study. Otherwise, their passion toward science will probably be reduced due to the uncertain impact in the future, and this is not what we are expecting

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture in Political Science
Channelee

Re: Scientists should be responsible for the negative impacts of their discoverie #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 10, 2011 21:22 pm   Re: Scientists should be responsible for the negative impacts of their discoverie

Channelee wrote:

Thanks to the advance of science, our lives have become much comfortable now. Of course, not all scientific discoveries influence our lives in a positive way. Are scientists supposed to shoulder the responsibilities OF the negative impacts of scientific discoveries? As far as I think, I am strongly opposed to this opinion.

To begin with, scientists’ jobS ARE to find out new things or figure out new theories through a wide variety of experiments. When they discover something meeting our benefit, we sing high praise for them; conversely, if they find something we think it is potentially harmful to the society, the scientist should take full responsibilities for that. In my view, it is totally unfair. We cannot blame the one who inventED automobiles because of the exhausted gases discharged by them, or the one WHO deviseD the steam machine, which further led to the industrialization, due to the waste produced during manufacturing.

Moreover, as for me, the government is the one who ought to be responsible for the influence of scientific discoveries. Firstly, to avoid making a negative impact, governments should enact some laws to regulate the research activities in THE field OF SCIENCE. For example, in many countries, it’s illegal for scientists TO attempt to perform the human cloning experiment. Secondly, governments ought to supervise the implementATION based on scientific study results. As long as the experimental results are not applied in a realistic environment, there will not be any impact toward our lives.

Last but not least, as a coin has two sides, one same scientific discovery can have two distinct opposed effectS according to the people who master it. Take a knife as an example. A knife in a talented artist’s hands will be a tool to help accomplish a masterpiece; if it is in a gangster’s hands, it will be a misused weapon.

TakING all reasons into account, scientists are not supposed to take responsibilities for the negative influence derived from their researches and study. Otherwise, their passion toward science will probably be reduced due to the uncertain impact in the future, and this is not what we are expecting.
.............................................................................................................................
Good work Channelee.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemSign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Whether parents should support their children to have a part-time jobTraveling to a different country can be both exciting and frustratingTHE EFFECTS OF OIL SPILLSthe causes of deforestrationHow can I prepare for the TOEFL® test?Movies and TV programs made in your own country are more interesting comparing toDoing sport would teach us to gain some important experience in our lives.Printed book disappear in 20 years??Is the ability to read and write more important today than in the past?The college years are the best time in a persons life.a government should focus its budgets more on young children’sDo you think that young people should take several different kinds of jobEssay: History & Literature or Science & Mathematics?