enemy; foe; opponent; rival
adversary
glut
scintilla
zealot

What person in history you would like to meet

Many people visit museums when they go to new places. | How a person look or dress is more important to one’s success than a
What person in history you would like to meet #1 (permalink) Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:40 pm   What person in history you would like to meet

Dear Kitos,
Evaluate my essay, please.
__________________________________________________
When we learn about famous people,we are likely to be willing to meet them. For example, when people read books written by a particular author they might think of an opportunity to meet the author and learn something about a person who has created works which these people adore and re-read several times. One of the famous people from the past who I would have liked to meet is Ernest Hemingway.
First and foremost, Ernest Hemingway was one of the most remarkable writers in the history of the world literature. I have been reading his novels since I was at school. For example, my teacher of Literature at school always discussed with us not only his prize winning novels, but his personal life as well. I got really impressed with Hemingway's writing style, as I found it very clear and profound. Having experienced firsthand different situations,which he described in his novels and stories, Hemingway created his works implementing real facts from his life. For instance, his novel “A Farewell to Arms” was based on his experience as an ambulance driver during World War I. That period in Hemingway's life is skillfully fused with the life of the main character in the novel. Moreover, in this book the writer entangles love story with war story. Thus, I believe that Ernest Hemingway was a really genuine writer,and a lot of people would have liked to meet and talk to him.
Second, Ernest Hemingway served during one World War and corresponded during another. He was wounded during World War I. Later on, he received a silver medal from Italian government for rescuing an Italian soldier. These facts make this novelist one of the most outstanding figures not only in the world of literature, but in the world of history as well.
In addition, Ernest Hemingway was known to be a very sociable and enthusiastic person. He was always eager to share his sacred thoughts and give advice to others. Thus, he was said to have held close friendships with other authors and known a lot of world leaders. Though his relationships with others were strained at some certain periods in his life, he was recognized as an honest person who valued others' individuality. For example, upon winning Pulitzer Prize he humbly named others he thought deserved it more.
To sum, Ernest Hemingway is known both for his intense, realistic writing and his adventurous and widely publicized life. Therefore, I consider Hemingway not only a professional novelist and short-story writer, but also a unique person, who I would be willing to meet.
Thank you in advance
Alina

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor mention New York Harbor?
Alina_T

Re: What person in history you would like to meet #2 (permalink) Tue Jan 11, 2011 15:58 pm   Re: What person in history you would like to meet

Dear Kitos,
Evaluate my essay, please.
When we learn about famous people,we are likely to be willing to meet them. For example, when people read books written by a particular author they might think of an opportunity to meet the author and learn something about THE person who has created works which these people adore and re-read several times. One of the famous people from the past who I would have liked to meet is Ernest Hemingway.
First and foremost, Ernest Hemingway was one of the most remarkable writers in the history of the world literature. I have been reading his novels since I was at school. For example, my teacher of Literature at school always discussed with us not only his prize winning novels, but his personal life as well. I WAS really impressed with Hemingway's writing style, as I found it very clear and profound. Having experienced first-hand different situations, which he described in his novels and stories, Hemingway created his works implementing real facts from his life. For instance, his novel “A Farewell to Arms” was based on his experience as an ambulance driver during World War I. That period OF Hemingway's life is skilfully fused with the life of the main character in the novel. Moreover, in this book the writer INTERTWINES A love story with A war story. Thus, I believe that Ernest Hemingway was a really genuine writer, and a lot of people would have liked to meet and talk to him.
Second, Ernest Hemingway served during one World War and corresponded during another. He was wounded during World War 1. Later on, he received a silver medal from THE Italian government for rescuing an Italian soldier. These facts make this novelist one of the most outstanding figures, not only in the world of literature, but in the world of history as well.
In addition, Ernest Hemingway was known to be a very sociable and enthusiastic person. He was always eager to share his sacred thoughts and give advice to others. Thus, he was said to have held close friendships with other authors and TO HAVE known a lot of world leaders. Though his relationships with others were strained at some certain periods in his life, he was recognized as an honest person who valued others' individuality. For example, upon winning THE Pulitzer Prize he humbly named others he thought deserved it more.
To sum UP, Ernest Hemingway is known both for his intense, realistic writing and his adventurous and widely publicized life. Therefore, I consider Hemingway not only a professional novelist and short-story writer, but also a unique person, who I would be willing to meet.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
As ever Alina, a very well organised and written essay.

Kitos. 8.5/10
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemLearn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
The extended family becomes less importwhether or not a person's character based on first impression is trustfulSome people argue that changes in agriculture such as factory farming and creatioTHE EFFECTS OF STRESSWhat are some important qualities of a good supervisor (boss)?ComputersWhether parents should support their children to have a part-time jobTraveling to a different country can be both exciting and frustratingTHANK YOU A MILLION KITOS >:D<, I took my exam today.People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doingTHE EFFECTS OF OIL SPILLSthe causes of deforestrationMovies and TV programs made in your own country are more interesting comparing to