to consent; to concur; to suit; to have the same opinion; to fit
agree
fertilize
amount
lesson

29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world

Sometimes... | yes, all at sea
29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 08, 2011 13:50 pm   29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world

So now lots more know what lurker already knows:-)
March 8, 2011
Germany wins global popularity contest
Published: 8 Mar 11 10:27 CET

Germany is the most popular country in the world, according to a poll that asked people to rate the positive and negative influence of 16 major nations.
Of the nearly 29,000 people surveyed from 27 countries for the BBC World Service poll, 62 percent said that Germany’s influence on the world was positive.

The country has been seen as having the most positive influence among the nations evaluated since tracking began in Germany in 2008.

“In terms of lifestyle and its high-quality products, Germany has a successful image and doesn’t have the baggage that countries like the US and China have, which can be seen as culturally controversial,” a spokesman for GlobeScan, the company which carried out the survey, told Britain’s Telegraph newspaper.

Coming in second was the United Kingdom, which was seen by 58 percent of respondents positively. Canada was the third most popular, followed by Japan, France and Brazil. The United States came in seventh, ahead of China, South Africa and India.

At the bottom on the ranking was Iran, which had a negative ranking of 59 percent. Enjoying just slightly more love, or at least less antipathy, were North Korea, at 55 percent, and Pakistan, whose negative perception jumped five points from last year to 56 percent.

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20110308-33573.html
_________________
"Internet quotes are not always genuine" - Charles Darwin
Political Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 08, 2011 14:58 pm   29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world

What lurker doesn´t know is that the aera of Germany is almost over. Right now, damned Gas-industry is going to drill for Gas and wasting this pretty nice country. And immediately after they have done their work the wells will get filled up with Carbon. So enjoy, Jamie´s picture or better come and see it live. I could be your last chance. :-@@@@
_________________
"Ho ho!" said the clown
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 09, 2011 0:33 am   29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world

C'mon Michael... Why not make this a thread were you post some nice positive things about Germany. A bit of self belief goes a long way :-)
_________________
Political Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:30 am   29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world

Ah, sorry Jamie I forgot, there are some very nice places of interest here.

Old Daddy Rhine for example:

http://www.videoportal.sf.tv/video?id=57bbd38c-d6df-4dba-bf97-00db8d888d02

According to that there is a nice old German song: "Wenn das Waser im Rhein `Goldner Wein´ wär, ja dann möcht ich so gern ein Fischlein sein......................."

the very poor translation into the English: "If the water in the Rhine was `golden wine´ I´d love to be a little fish..........................."

In fact, the content of the hull was sulphuric acid. It was pumped into the Rhine in order to save the ship. Must have been a great tourist attraction.
_________________
"Ho ho!" said the clown
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world #5 (permalink) Wed Mar 09, 2011 23:46 pm   29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world

Thought It might be an idea to post this story off another thread :-)

European tourists prefer Germany over France,Italy and Austria
Published: 24 Feb 11 12:26 CET

Brandenburg Gate trumps Eiffel Tower? Germany now attracts more European tourists than France, according to figures released this week.
The German National Tourist Board (DZT) said Germany was now second only to Spain as the top holiday destination for Europeans, edging out France, Italy and Austria.

“In 2010 we broke through the historic mark of 60 million foreign overnight visitors,” said DZT chairwoman Petra Hedorfer in a statement.

Proving that bratwurst can be more appetizing than baguette, the German hospitality industry booked a 10 percent jump in overnight stays by foreign tourists in 2010 compared to the year before.

Larger German cities saw the largest surge in tourism, rebounding from the crisis-hit year 2009.

Visitors from Switzerland accounted for a most overnight stays, jumping 8.6 percent to 4.2 million last year.

Germany's neighbours in the Netherlands replaced tourists from Britain as the second largest group, but visits from Poland also surged 15.7 percent.

The numbers of visitors from further afield also increased, with visitors from the United States flocking to the famous passion play of Oberammergau - performed to celebrate the crucifixion of Jesus once each decade. This helped American visits rise 11.1 percent last year.

Tourism from the Persian Gulf states also rose some 26 percent, with a rise in demand for holidays in Germany noticeable during the hot summer months back home.

Among Asian nations, China overtook Japan as the biggest source of tourism to
Germany, accounting for some 1.1 million overnight visits.

The DZT is looking for another banner year for tourism in 2011, with major events such as the FIFA Women’s World Cup and the 125th anniversary of the automobile set to attract visitors from all over the world.

Hedorfer estimated that if Germany's tourism boom continues, the country will welcome more than 80 million overnight visitors annually by 2020.
http://www.thelocal.de/society/20110224-33327.html
_________________
_________________
Political Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world #6 (permalink) Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:59 am   29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world

Not as old but this one seems symbolic of the 90's and the wall coming down... :-)

_________________
Political Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world #7 (permalink) Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:38 pm   29,000 Person Poll - Germany is the most popular country in the world

Jamie wrote:

Another advantage with bratwurst over baguette is, it´s much healthier. Scientists found out that all that gossip about animal fat and cholesterine is rubbish. And it´s not true that animal fat caused heart-diseases. Quite the oppsite is right, they suggest. So, one also might say bratwurst in Berlin is much more healthful than having a baguette in Paris.

One more reason for a visit to Berlin. Perhaps you might meet there even that boar with the huge amount of "big uns" Jamie showed quite recently. :-)))))

Michael
_________________
"Ho ho!" said the clown
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

Sometimes... | yes, all at sea
Why are women so unhappyWhose behind is behind 9/11Far out guy talking about EarthquakesPrayer for Mister Micawber and anyone who is suffering from the disaster.Is it important for you to be offered opportunities for training in a job?She's Got Nothing On - But The Radio ;-)"Regarding" or "regarding to"a jigsawWinning your shoes distant in the sporting house - Should others esteem your housWhat shoes are absolutely comfortable for walking on genuine floors?Charming your shoes misled in the house - Should others respect your house rule?The phases of depression while learning English (Agony Column-Whining Encouraged)I really want to go abroad study. Who can help me?