to act on; to transfer from one place to another; to change residence
move
engineer
expand
package

et alia > et al > eta (?)

why it is me NOT it is i | What's the difference between "I'll miss you." and "I'm going to m
et alia > et al > eta (?) #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:28 am   et alia > et al > eta (?)

We have ‘etc’ abbreviated from ‘et cetera’ to mean “and other things” or “and so on”. This does not go with persons. To mean “and others” or “and other persons” we have ‘et al’ coming from ‘et alia’.

When et cetera can be shortened to etc, why not et alia to eta?

T H Lawrence
India
_________________
Anglophile
I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Anglophile

et alia > et al > eta (?) #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:10 pm   et alia > et al > eta (?)

'Et al' is simply the accepted abbreviation, Mr Lawrence. Why 'viz' for 'videlicet' or 'cf' for 'compare'? They have different histories and different customary abbreviations have evolved.

And welcome to Engish-test.net.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
et alia > et al > eta (?) #3 (permalink) Sun Mar 20, 2011 20:38 pm   et alia > et al > eta (?)

Eta (η) is the seventh letter of the Greek alphabet. Therefore, an ambiguity may occur if we use the abbreviation 'eta'.
ChoTokusen

etc Vs eta #4 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:59 am   etc Vs eta

Why not accept a change in consonance with each other, Mister Micawber? We needn't be so rigid, need we?T H Lawrence
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

etc vs eta #5 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm   etc vs eta

As we are discussing English we may look into its acceptability and practicability.

T H Lawrence
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

et alia > et al > eta (?) #6 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 14:27 pm   et alia > et al > eta (?)

We are not here to change English, T.H. We are here to aid communication by disseminating current generally accepted usage. Unilaterally creating variations to suit your own ideas is counterproductive.
_________________

et alia > et al > eta (?) #7 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 16:16 pm   et alia > et al > eta (?)

Mister Micawber wrote:

Dear Mister Micawber,

I only meant a logical suggestion. It was not a unilateral creation. Language, after all, is a living organism. If a portmanteu like 'blog' for 'web log' and an abbreviation like 'id' for 'identity' can be accepted and recognized, I wonder why my suggestion should go without being given a thought to. Please do not take my answer amiss.

T H Lawrence.
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

et alia > et al > eta (?) #8 (permalink) Sat Apr 09, 2011 0:15 am   et alia > et al > eta (?)

Because no one really gave a thought to 'weblog'. It just happened, as is the case with most language changes.
_________________

show-and-tellTenses (From Seinfeld)readCan I compare like these ways?Lost in translationUse of "hassle"what does "smile indefinitely" mean?Where is the mistake?grammarQuitwhat does be about to mean?Please check my sentenceWhat is the difference between entry and entrance?